Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge: I'm gettn 3 codes.. c121c p2101 p2110... lightning bolt

Customer Question

I'm gettn 3 codes.. c121c p2101 p2110... lightning bolt with parentheses light on.. no throttle response.. 09 dodge ram 1500.. 4.7 4x4
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! These codes will set when the Electronic Throttle body motor fails, or a wiring problem between the Throttle body and the PCM (engine computer) or the PCM itself. Whenever I see these codes, 9 times out of 10 it is the throttle body itself. Inspect the wiring and connector at the throttle body. If ok, then replace the throttle body. I am 99% sure that this will take care of it.
I hope this helps,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do some checking this afternoon once I get it to my shop.. it's very intermittent.. happened once sat.. n then cpl times on n off today
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, sounds good!! Let me know how it goes,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was talking to a buddy n his dad said had same issue n was the switch/sensor on the gas pedal??? Is that a possibility too
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Well, the sensor on the gas pedal could cause something similar, but the codes would be different. These codes point directly to the throttle body.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. I'll hav to order one.. no one has them around here.. I'll let u know as soon as I get it on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanx.. talk to u soon
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good my friend. I will look for your reply.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I recieved my new throttle body today and still having same issue... ideas?? I am gonna clear codes as soon as my scanner returns and recheck to see if same codes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get code c121c multiple times after repeated clearing codes.. and now it will throw it just under hard throttle sitting in park.. before u had to be moving..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now just went n drove it around the block.. hard throtte.. fault code.. traction control light on and get all 3 original codes again.. C121c P2101 P2110
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm, very strange. Let me research this some more and see what may be going on here. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanx
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
I found these diagnostic procedures that may help you. Chris. ---------------------------- P2101-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MOTOR PERFORMANCEFor a complete wiring diagram Refer to the Wiring Information.When Monitored:With the vehicle running, ETC Motor not in Limp Home mode, and the TPS adaptation is complete.Set Condition:The PCM recognizes too large of an error between the actual position of the Throttle Plate and the Set Point position. One trip fault and the code will set within 5 seconds. Three good trips to turn off the MIL ETC light is flashing. Possible CausesTHROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLYLOW BATTERY VOLTAGEPOWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure). 1.ACTIVE DTC NOTE:Before continuing visually inspect the throttle blade and bore for any obstructions. Icing of the throttle body may have caused this code to set. NOTE:Low battery voltage can also cause excessive current draw, in very hot and very cold ambient temperature. Make sure the battery can pass a Load test before continuing. NOTE:Diagnose any 5-Volt Supply, Battery, and TP Sensor DTCs before continuing.1.Ignition on, engine not running.2.With a scan tool, select View DTCs.Is the DTC Active at this time?YesGo To 2NoRefer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure) 2.THROTTLE POSITION WITHIN 2° DEGREES OF DESIRED THROTTLE POSITION1.Start the engine.2.Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.3.With a scan tool, monitor the Actual Throttle Position and Desired Throttle Position.4.Compare the Actual Throttle Position and the Set Point Throttle Position.Is the Actual Throttle Position within 2° degrees of the Desired Throttle Position?YesGo To 3NoVerify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module connectors. If OK, replace the Throttle Body Assembly. Disconnect the Battery when replacing the Throttle Body Assembly. After installation is complete, use a scan tool and select the ETC RELEARN function.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure) 3.ETC OPERATION1.Ignition on, engine not running.2.With a scan tool, perform the ETC Throttle Follower Test. NOTE:It may be necessary to use a mirror to see the throttle blade.3.Observe the throttle blade. NOTE:Make sure the motion of the throttle blade is smooth and that it opens and closes.Did the ETC motor operate properly?YesRefer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)NoVerify that there is good pin to terminal contact at the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module connectors. Replace the Throttle Body Assembly if no problems were found in the connectors. Disconnect the Battery when replacing the Throttle Body Assembly. After installation is complete, use a scan tool and select the ETC RELEARN function.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
P2110-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL - FORCED LIMITED RPMSpecial Tools: Click to display a list of tools used in this procedureClick here to launch the form to order any tools you need.8815A - Kit, NGC, 38 PositionOriginally Shipped In Kit Number(s) 8718, 8718CC, 8815A. For a complete wiring diagram Refer to the Wiring Information.When Monitored:Ignition on and ETC motor is working.Set Condition:When the PCM requests to limit engine speed if PWM is too high for 20.5 seconds and before P2118 sets. One trip fault and the code will set within 5 seconds. ETC light is illuminated. Possible CausesTHROTTLE PLATE STUCK(K447) ETC POSITIVE CIRCUIT OPEN(K448) ETC NEGATIVE CIRCUIT OPEN(K447) ETC POSITIVE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND(K448) ETC NEGATIVE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUNDETC MOTORPOWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure). 1.ACTIVE DTC1.Ignition on, engine not running.2.With a scan tool select View DTCs.3.In the Freeze Frame data, look at the temperature at which the fault occurred. If it occurred in extreme cold temperatures, Icing of the throttle body may have caused this code to set. NOTE:Diagnose any TP Sensor faults, 5-Volt Supply faults, and Battery Voltage High or Low DTCs before continuing. NOTE:If P2072 is also set, this indicates that the cold weather ice blockage routine has run. No repair action is required.Is the DTC Active at this time?YesGo To 2NoRefer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure) 2.(K447) ETC POSITIVE CIRCUIT OPEN 1.Turn the ignition off.2.Disconnect the Throttle Body harness connector.3.Disconnect the C2 PCM harness connector. CAUTION:Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install the PCM Pinout Box Kit, NGC, 38 Position 8815A to perform diagnosis. 4.Measure the resistance of the (K447) ETC Positive circuit from the Throttle Body harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool # ***** .Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?YesGo To 3NoRepair the open in the (K447) ETC Positive circuit.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure) 3.(K448) ETC NEGATIVE CIRCUIT OPEN 1.Measure the resistance of the (K448) ETC Negative circuit from the Throttle Body harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool # ***** .Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?YesGo To 4NoRepair the open in the (K448) ETC Negative circuit.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure) 4.(K447) ETC POSITIVE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND 1.Measure the resistance between a known good ground and the (K447) ETC Positive circuit at the appropriate terminal of special tool # ***** .Is the resistance below 100 ohms?YesRepair the short to ground in the (K447) ETC Positive circuit.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)NoGo To 5 5.(K448) ETC NEGATIVE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND 1.Measure the resistance between a known good ground and the (K448) ETC Negative circuit at the appropriate terminal of special tool # ***** .Is the resistance below 100 ohms?YesRepair the short to ground in the (K448) ETC Negative circuit.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)NoGo To 6 6.ETC MOTOR NOTE:Take the following measurement using special tool # ***** to avoid possible damage to the Throttle Body harness connector.1.Measure the resistance of the ETC Motor between the (K447) ETC Positive circuit and the (K448) ETC Negative circuit at the appropriate terminals of special tool # ***** .Is the resistance between 2.5 and 25 ohms at closed throttle?YesGo To 7NoVerify that there is good pin to terminal contact at the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module connectors. Replace the Throttle Body Assembly if no problems were found in the connectors. Disconnect the Battery when replacing the Throttle Body Assembly. After installation is complete, use a scan tool and select the ETC RELEARN function.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure) 7.THROTTLE PLATE STUCK1.Turn the ignition off.2.Remove the Air Cleaner Assembly from the Throttle Body.3.Check for any signs of a foreign material (ice or dirt) causing the Throttle to stick.4.Using a scan tool, perform the ETC Throttle Follower Test.5.You may need an assistant to watch the Throttle Plate move.Does the Throttle Plate move during the test?YesGo To 8NoRemove the debris if possible or replace the Throttle Body Assembly if signs of physical damage are present. Disconnect the Battery when replacing the Throttle Body Assembly. After installation is complete, use a scan tool and select the ETC RELEARN function.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure) 8.POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)1.Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).2.Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.3.Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals. Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module connectors.4.Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.Were there any problems found?YesRepair as necessary.Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)NoReplace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.