Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Durango 4x4: 2001 durango multiple issues #1 BCM ROM

Customer Question
2001 durango multiple issues #1 BCM...
2001 durango multiple issues
#1 BCM ROM check sum failure
#2 ecm p0601 I know this is the death code. I replaced it and the code came right back.
#3 hvac module cool down has been executed
#4 abs codes 68,74
#5 transfer case module has multiple codes
a. 2wd/awd indicator open
b. neutral indicator open
c. 4wd lo indicator open
d. 4wd hi indicator open
e. neutral indicator short to ground
f. 4wd indicator short to ground.
obviously all these systems cant be bad so I am leaning toward a bad ground. or a bad bcm causing these items since I already replaced the ecm. I found an enormous bundle of ground wires that are bolted to the inner fender behind the battery on the drivers side. It appears to have some oxidation on it. Am I correst in assuming that this is the primary ground on the whole electrical system.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/12/2015
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You do have a few different issues going on at once.
P0601 sets when the PCM is failing internal self tests and the only possible cause is an internal failure in the PCM, it will need to be replaced again.
If it's setting an internal failure code in the central timer module it will also need to be replaced, also not uncommon.
The ABS codes could be the module, a loss of power or ground to it or the pump motor.
The four wheel drive switch is the most likely cause for the transfer case module codes.
Besides the used PCM has anything been done to diagnose any of the problems?

I am going to check the grounds which I believe are behind the battery. The design is ridiculous. There are approximately 30+ wires all on the same spot. They are tied into one big bunch and attached in 1 spot. They appear to be corroded. I am wondering if poor grounding could be the source of these problems. It looks like every ground is in that one spot.

A ground issue could possibly cause the ABS codes.

How can I check the 4x4 switch

You'll need to test each indicator wire's continuity from the transfer case module to the switch, make sure there is voltage on the dark blue/white wire at the switch, and make sure the indicator circuits aren't shorted to power or ground.

Ok. I will do that and get back to you. Thanks man

You're welcome!

I believe I finally got a good ecm. Do I need to replace the bcm and if so will it alter my mileage that is displayed as it would in the older jeeps or is it stored in the cluster? Thanks for the help

If the central timer module is setting an internal failure code then it will need to be replaced. The CTM doesn't store mileage, the PCM is the only thing you'll need to program the VIN and mileage in.

I was finally able to check the resistance going to the wires from the 4x4 switch to the transfer case module. They were all good, I also replaced the switch and it did the same thing. Is there a way to check the module?

so i found this http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3gcim-2001-durango-slt-four-wheel-drive-will-not.html#re.v/174/ and read through all the wiring checks. everything checked out good. i assume this means a tcase module is required. I also found it has an after market alarm that I am goint to remove in case it is causing problems as well

You verified there is power at the switch?

Yep

If the wiring has been tested, there is power at the switch and the switch has been replaced with a known good part then the module can be condemned.

Is there a way to check the abs wiring to see if its the computer or a ground issue? I am beginning to think someone shorted the electrical system on this thing.

Have the module powers and grounds been load tested?

All the info I have is 69 and 74

And how do I load test them. I am not very fluent in abs repair.

You would use a headlamp or fog lamp bulb and jumper wires to make basically a high amperage test light. There are two red/dark green wires that should have battery voltage, the red/dark blue wire should have voltage with the key on. The two black/pink wires should have ground.

Ok. As soon as I do it I will let you know the results. You have bben of immense help. Thank you.

You're welcome!

got the 4x4 module and installed it today but it is still not working could it be in the wiring goin to the transfer case itself? if so Hoew do I check it

What codes are currently setting?

I don't have access to the snap on scanner till next week to see if I have different ones. But the ones I had before are at the top of the thread. If that helps.

I know what codes were setting before but you'll need to see what is currently setting to continue diagnosis.

ok. I will get them next week and get back to you.

Ok.

I took it in and as of right now I don't have any codes

The transfer case module is awake though?

It was reading the shift switch blinking when I was running the tests

What tests did you run?

I monitored it and moved the switch manually. It was reading swithch movement but the tcase was not engaging. Also the switch lights would blink and and then go back to 2wd. All the switch positions were registering

What positions are on the switch?
Where did the replacement module come from?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08