Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 99 Durango has rough idle at times

Customer Question
my 99 Durango has rough idle at times
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/10/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
A rough idle can be caused by a few things from an engine vacuum leak to an engine misfire. In order to help you determine the actual cause the first thing you need to do is to have the computer system scanned and see if there are any fault codes setting. In most cases the computer will pick up and store fault codes if there is a problem. Most auto parts store like Autozone will run this scan for you ate no charge. See if you can get this done and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Hi Ron
I have a code scanner and I find no codes at this time. I was told that there is a valve that is located on the firewall that operates with vacuum that may be the problem but when I changed that out it did not make a difference.
The engine will start to sputter at anytime when it is idling. Recently it would sputter and then started jerking when I would accelerate. Then the problem will go away and start randomly. The only constant is that it makes a noise on the passenger side that sounds like vacuum while it is sputtering then the sound goes away when the sputtering stops.
Jerking and spettering in most cases is caused by an engine misfire . Has the spark plugs and igntion been checked?