Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2500 Doge Ram PU: , I have a '98 2500 diesel. about

Customer Question

I have a '98 2500 diesel. about 60K on it.
was in slow traffic yesterday and suddenly throttle would'nt raise RPM past 1200. pedal felt like it had less resistance than usual.
if it took foot off pedal, rpm would go to 900
if i just touched pedal, it raised to 1200 immediately... but no further if I went lower with pedal.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Did the Check Engine Light come on when this happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it did. I Opened the hood and the area near the air filter had a different tone of sound to it; I noticed that the gasket from the fender liner to the filter had opened - although it didn't look to be a real recent separation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, it seemed like I could depress the pedal and it would kick up the shift of the gear of the transmission - but again the rpm remained constant at 1200.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Since the check engine light did come on... The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert