Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Ric , Jim here ...2008 Charger 3.5L V6 HOis not wanting

Customer Question

Hello,Ric , Jim here ...2008 Charger 3.5L V6 HOis not wanting to fire . Will turn over but not run . I Suspect Throttle ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 2 years ago.
Goood afternoon, my name is***** to JustAnswer!. I'm guessing there are no codes set, but please do what you can to scan first for codes before the next step.Which is unplugging the cam sensor, located on the timing gear, at the front of the driver's side timing cover. It's the 3-wire sensor. Crank the engine for up to 10 seconds to see if it fires. If it does, it shows you have a cam-crank variance outside of tolerable limits, possibly caused by a leaky water pump.Huh?Yeah, leaky water pump. They tend to seep at the shaft, dripping onto the crankshaft gear, which builds up with KAK and eventually slips a cog or ten. All it takes is one tooth of cam-crank offset variance difference and you can no longer go for a ride. Unplugging the cam sensor allows the PCM to disregard actual cam timing offset and go ahead with injector pulse, often allowing engine start. It takes a much longer attempt at starting for the Big Disregard to happen, which is why you need to lean on the starter for so long. The caveat of doing this is that there is a possibility of bending valves if the engine continues to lose timing as it begins running. If it's already bent valves because cam-crank is WAY far out, you've lost nothing, but restrict this test to just hearing it burn gas and then shut it down. You'll need to check what's going on inside the timing cover next. Ed