George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

How do I get a new 2002 Dodge Dakota AC Compressor to kick

Customer Question

How do I get a new 2002 Dodge Dakota AC Compressor to kick on. Thought there was a way to bypass the relay using a paper clip at relay pin 87 and 30 slots, but that does not work. Fuses are good. Thx.
Submitted: 2 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light? Check to see if you have 12 volts at the paperclip. Let me know what happens, the engine size and if this is 4WD. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, thanks - I have a volt meter, but wife wants us to get ready for trip. Is this something that can be done tomorrow am?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I will be here tomorrow so please post back to this thread Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thx - will do. What time is earliest time EST you are available?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Usually about 6 then on and off during the morning.
Let me know how I can help
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Super - it's a 3.9 2wd...
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, check the paperclip and if you have 12 volts there check at the connector to the compressor.
Let me know how I can help
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, we have severe weather alerts here in Atlanta this am and leaving for a trip in a few hrs. Apologies, but may I contact you when I'm back? ...not sure how this works... Thx.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all, stay safe and I will be here when you can get back to it. The site will send automatic emails, don't be concerned.
I will watch for your post when you get a chance to check it out.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thx - also, I pressed a request for a call by mistake. I will email you when we return - looking forward to getting the av fixed ASAP.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, I will watch for your post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George, we're back and if you are available, I'd like to get this ac problem fixed. I don't mind the up charge for the phone call - it might make it easier:(###) ###-####
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but I am unable to speak on the phone.
Do you have power at the compressor connector with the paprclip in place and if you do not do you have power at the paperclip?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You may have to walk me thru the process on how to check the power at pins 30 and 86. Right now the system is evacuated, but I have not started to put freon in yet. This is where I got before and compressor clutch would not engage to pull in the freon...
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, see the pins ladled 30, 86, 85,87?
30 and 87 are connected when the relay is turned on.
There is an electromagnet between 85 and 86, 12 volts to one and ground to the other turns on the relay so 30 closes to 87 like a switch.
Check between the relay pin sockets and ground, two should have 12 volts with the key on.
Let me know if you find those
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'm familiar with the relay set up, so I do understand this. I tried my voltmeter at the compressor connector, I did get a higher reading, but not the 12 volts I expected. I may just have the wrong setting on the meter...
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Start at the battery with the meter, if you have 20 DCV that would work best and you should expect 12.6 volts on a full charge. Let me know if that is clear Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked the battery and it's good. I'll follow your lead, but could this be a low pressure switch probl?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
NO, if you cannot physically turn the compressor on by using a paperclip to simulate the relay it is not a low switch problem. One step at a time, get the clutch to come on then check to see why the relay is not turning on the clutch. Let me know what you find Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, lol - ready for the next step when you are
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Check at the relay and see if you have two pins that show 12 volts, one of those pins is #30 or #87, should be marked on the relay, connect those two together with a paperclip, make sure you have 12 volts on the paperclip by turning the key on and you should hear the clutch on the compressor pull in. If it does not measure at the clutch connector to see if you have 12 volts there.
Let me know what you find so I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, put meter on dcv and connected to pins 87 and 30. And got an increasing reading from 30 all the way to 130... This increasing reading happens whether key is in or not...
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Just measure one pin at a time, put the black lead to a clean metal ground. You should read the same as when you checked the battery. Use the negative battery terminal for the black lead if it is close enough.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I say "connected" I mean in the relay box with relay out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok - will check that way and get back..,
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
YOu ground your black lead and use the red lead to probe one relay pin socket at a time. Find the two that show 12 volts Dc that way.
What meter do you have? Brand and model?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, been playing with this a little; only pin 86 shows 12 volts. It's an innova 3320 meter.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, then we need to find out why the fuse B in the underhood fuse block does not send power to the relay? Blown fuse?Let me know if you need the location Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes! It's a blown fuse...simple things - I should have checked this :-/Do you think I can try to recharge the system at this point ant if needed jump pin 30 and 87 if needed to engage the ac clutch?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Try putting refrigerant in, if you can get the low pressure switch to close the compressor will run. If it does not you can jump the relay with the paperclip.
Please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do...
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Always glad to help
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, ac comp clutch is on, but still not taking all of can 1. How long should it take?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
May take 15 - 20 minutes to get it all in.