Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge Dakota: I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 Ltr and

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 Ltr and the engine just started to misfire on number 8 cylinder. It only does this when the rpm reads 1400 rpm to 1600 rpm. I have replaced the sparkplugs , the coil pack on the #8 cylinder, I replaced the fuel injector as well. the misfire gets real bad at 1500 rpm. need to know if this will be a easy fix.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Have you tested the compression of #8 cylinder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not yet but it doesn't do it all of the time that's what bugs me.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
If it doesn't misfire all the time it's not going to be a compression issue.. Is the check engine light on and if so what codes are in the PCM?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The code comes up as P0308 and nothing else.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
And it only misfires between 1400-1600 and run perfect before and after the RPM range?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep. but it gets real bad if I keep it at 1500 rpms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
at 1500 rpm for a short time then it will activate the check engine light.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Since you have replaced the coil and injector I will need for you to have someone hold the throttle at 1500 while you get a noid light or test light and clip it to positive battery post and probe the injector and coil to make sure the PCM driver is working properly. The test light should flash fast and you should also compare it to the other cylinders.. Let me know what you find,Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will do that and get back to and let you know what my results are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife has the truck today so I cant do anything until she gets home from work, which isn't until 6:00 pm or 7:30 pm if that's ok.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Sure.. That will be fine..