moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

Dodge ram 2500 cummins diesel: 1999 dodge ram 2500 cummins

Customer Question

1999 dodge ram 2500 cummins diesel transfer pump won't stop running unless I remove eng mod 2 20 amp fuse. what could cause this? i removed all 3 plugs from ECM and it still runs no key in ignition.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using JA
The only thing that can cause this is a short inside the module where the relay plugs in. You have a wire inside of the fuse block where the relay plugs in that's shorted on pin 37 of the relay.
You can take it apart to check the wiring inside of it.
Expert:  moparfl replied 2 years ago.
I gave you the wrong info on this year truck. Your truck get the power to the transfer pump from the cummins controller that's bolted to the side of the engine block. That computer is wither shorted or the wiring that runs from it to the transfer pump is shorted to a power source. This info is for a 24 valve cummins.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THE controller on side of engine block. Were is that located
Expert:  moparfl replied 2 years ago.
It's on the drivers side of the engine block.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Computer whither what do you mean by that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I havn't seen a controller on side of engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the leads hooked up to pump go into wiring harnist and run from there to ECM I think but I removed all three plugs to ECM and pump was still running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  moparfl replied 2 years ago.
It's a little hard to see but it's bolted to the side of the block. You are unplugging the Dodge controller it it does not have anything to do with the transfer pump.the connector to the cummins controller bolts up to it. It does not just plug in the connector to it will have to be unbolted.
I'm not able to get you on the phone right now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Call me tomorrow If you can(###) ###-####around 500 pm its 937pm here now. My name is***** will rate you then so we are both happy thanks. I don't see a controller on side of engine reather get on it during day time after work.