Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 caravan r/t. The drivers's side power locks…

Customer Question
I have a 2012 caravan...
I have a 2012 caravan r/t. The drivers's side power locks do not work electronically on front and rear door. I replaced the actuator on the front but it didn't solve problem. Is this a power fuse block problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/28/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Did you open the door boot and check for any broke wires?

No. the button appears like it want to move up sometimes but it doesn't come fully up. Sometimes it actually does work so I kinda ruled out a broken wire.

What is the last 8 digits of your VIN so I can grab a wiring diagram for you?

CR180613

Here is a wiring diagram:

That shows the fronts but what what about the rear driver's door and what is the common circuit that would cause both not to function?

I have a simple code reader. Will that work? There are no idiot lights on.

I do not have a scan tool. There are no trouble codes.

If the front and rear door on the same side are inop then there are codes in the TIPM which would help in diagnosing your issues..

I don't have a scan tool to read them. If there actually were codes what would the fix be? I'm thinking the tipm would have to be replaced since it is not serviceable????? What else could it be? Are there any warranty's or recalls on these? I had to replace one on my previous 2008 van. Seems like a common defect with these vans.......

The first thing I would do if your vehicle was in my stall at the dealership is to read the codes which I would then get the diagnostics for the codes to determine the cause of your lock problems.. If you didn't have 12v coming out of the TIPM it's possibly a bad TIPM, but I would really start with the codes to see really what's going on.. Without them you can try testing for 12v when you press the lock/unlock and since you are out the cash for the actuator I hate to see you but a 800.00 TIPM (which will need to be programmed with a scantool before it will work) and it doesn't fix it.

So what are the scenarios?

If I have 12v,what would the problem be?

If I didn't, what would the problem be?

Give me just a minute and I will go grab a code for the locks and post it so we can go over it..
HI,
Here is the code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfumqqmlrzveofs/Door%20code.pdf?dl=0
Here is also some info on the locks:
POWER LOCK SYSTEM
The power lock system uses non-switched battery current received through a fused B(+) fuse in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) so that the system remains operational regardless of the ignition switch position. The TIPM is the primary power lock system controller. The power lock switches are hard wired to their respective Driver Door Module (DDM) or Passenger Door Module (PDM). The TIPM, the DDM, the PDM and the rear door control modules all communicate with each other and with other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.
When a door module receives an input from a power lock switch, it sends the appropriate electronic Lock Request or Unlock Request message to the TIPM over the CAN data bus. The TIPM responds to these request messages by providing the appropriate outputs to each of the power lock motors to lock or unlock each of the door and liftgate latches. The TIPM also monitors hard wired inputs from the door and liftgate ajar switches. The TIPM uses these inputs and internal programming to determine whether or not to provide the output necessary to operate the power lock motors for the automatic or rolling door locks and automatic unlock features.
The TIPM also stores the power lock system Customer Programmable feature settings received over the CAN data bus from the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) circuitry of the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN). The TIPM uses these settings and internal programming along with hard wired and electronic message inputs to determine the proper outputs needed to produce each of the appropriate power lock system features.
The power lock system circuits are continually monitored and controlled by the microcontroller and software contained within the TIPM, the DDM, the PDM and the rear door control modules. When one of these modules monitors a problem in any of the power lock system circuits or components, it stores a fault code or Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in its memory circuit. The hard wired circuits between components related to the power lock system may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.
However, conventional diagnostic methods will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the power lock system or the electronic controls or communication between other modules and devices that provide features of the power lock system. The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose the power lock system or the electronic controls and communication related to power lock system operation, as well as the retrieval or erasure of a DTC requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.
POWER LOCK SYSTEM
The power lock system includes the following major components, which are described in further detail elsewhere in this service information:
•Door Modules - Vehicles equipped with certain options are equipped with an electronic front door control module (also known as the Driver Door Module/DDM, the Passenger Door Module/PDM or the Front Door MUX Modules) on both the driver and passenger front doors. Vehicles equipped with the front door control modules and certain other options may also be equipped with an electronic rear door control module (also known as the Module Door Left Rear or Right Rear and Module Sliding Door Actuator, but not to be confused with the Module Power Sliding Door Left or Right, or the Module Sliding Door Track) on either or both rear sliding doors. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Door - Description) .
•Electronic Vehicle Information Center - The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) is a digital display integral to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN), which is located on the instrument panel in front of the driver. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8M - Message Systems/Message Center/CENTER, Electronic Vehicle Information - Description) .
•Power Lock Motors - A reversible electric power lock motor is integral to the latch of each front and rear door and the liftgate.
•Power Lock Switches - A power lock switch is integral to the switch module located on the forward end of the arm rest of each front door inside trim panel.
•Totally Integrated Power Module - The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is located in the left front corner of the engine compartment. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8W - Wiring/Power Distribution/MODULE, Totally Integrated Power (TIPM) - Description).
If the wiring is good and you have a new switch it's possibly the TIPM..
Let me know,
Brad