Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Plymouth Neon: I have a 99 Plymouth Neon. The cam sensor was

Customer Question

I have a 99 Plymouth Neon. The cam sensor was cut through, and the mechanic said the can was walking front to back. He replaced the sensor and wanted $2,500 to fix the walking cam, which I said no to. How serious is this problem of a cam walking front to back?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is***** to JustAnswer!. It really is pretty serious, I'm afraid. The thrust bearing surface in your cylinder head that holds the camshaft in its normal operating plane has worn out, making the cylinder head... junk. Without this control, you'll eventually begin shaving off cam lobes in addition to the cam sensor failure that you've already seen, which will happen again in short order. The only fix is a new cylinder head.Sorry.Ed