sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Ram 1500: Just put a new engine in my 2002 dodge ram

Customer Question

Just put a new engine in my 2002 dodge ram 1500 and it would not move we thought it was the transmission since it was sitting for 7 yrs. Put a transmission in and it still will not move it starts up great just won't move.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You may have a few different things going on. It's possible that you have a brake issue - make sure that you're able to push the truck.
If the brakes aren't dragging and it revs up in gear like neutral then you have a transmission, transfer case, or possibly a differential issue. If the rear driveshaft is turning while the truck won't move then the problem is in the differential.
If the trans was replaced and it still won't move that makes it less likely to be a trans issue but it's always possible there is a problem with the replacement. Make sure the transfer case isn't in neutral though. I've actually had these trucks towed in when the transfer case shifter had been bumped far enough to knock it out of two wheel drive. If it doesn't seem to be a brake or differential issue the first thing I would recommend checking is the transfer case to make sure it's not in neutral.