sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge ram 1500 5.2l: .. I have a 98 dodge 1500 5.2l manual

Customer Question

Hi.. I have a 98 dodge 1500 5.2l manual 5 speed. I get intermittent power while driving periodically and I have to put the gas pedal to the floor for it too go..lots of power then though.. any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Low fuel pressure or a restricted catalytic converter are common causes of a lack of power but neither is usually intermittent. If it only happens when the fuel level is lower then low fuel pressure due to a restricted pump inlet filter is likely.
You could also have an upstream oxygen sensor issue causing the engine to run lean intermittently.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes. If no related codes are set then it would be best to either monitor fuel pressure when the problem happens or you can try unplugging the upstream oxygen sensor and see if that makes a difference.