Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge ram 1500.4.7 4x4: I had a tranny flush done on my 2003…

Customer Question
I had a tranny flush...
I had a tranny flush done on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and right away truck started overheating...never did it before and it has a new thermostat, waterpump and radiator
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dodge
I have read that it could be the coolant lines from transmission to rad? Maybe plugged up,does that sound right?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 3 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Flushing the transmission would have nothing to do with the engine overheating. How did the shop flush it? With a machine or cans? If you start it with the radiator cap off do you see the coolant flowing? Does it boil out?
No machine,apparently now I find out they just changed tranny fluid and filters.Yes you can see coolant flowing and it boils out of overflow
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
When the engine is cool can you top it off with coolant and after a few minutes continue to add coolant until it stays full and tighten cap and tell me how long it takes to run hot? Do you feel the fan pulling air across the radiator? If it's not low on coolant then it's a flow issue as in thermostat, water pump, radiator..
Yes you can feel the fan across the rad...do you mean to fill the overflow over full? It isn't leaking any coolant and stays full unless it overheats (which we r not letting happen)
When the fan is on and it's running do you feel the fan pulling air and is it warm air? If you open the radiator cap and start it up does it boil out fast or does it take a few minutes? If it's quickly I would check for a blown head gasket.... If it takes awhile then make sure it's full of coolant and tell me if the top and bottom radiator hoses are hot or if one is cool..
Keep me posted,
Brad
It takes a while to boil out. ..the fan air feels cool...I'll have to check the hoses still. Also I checked the thermostat my husband took out of truck and it was definitely no good ( put it in a pot of boiling water and it didn't open) the thermostat he bought and put in though looked completely different than the other one??? And when I looked online for what goes in that truck they all look like what came out of it...wondering if the new one isaybe wrong he bought it at VSA autoparts
I would suggest getting a OEM thermostat from your local Dodge dealership and retest.. Sounds like the wrong one which will cause your issues...
Brad