Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ram 1500: I have a 2003 ram 4.7l. I just bought it , the guy…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 ram...
I have a 2003 ram 4.7l. I just bought it , the guy told me it blew all the Freon out. So I hook gauages to it and it's holding pressure. The condenser fan was trashed wouldn't come on with direct wire up , so I replaced it. It now comes on when the ac button is pressed. So next was the compressor. I can turn it by hand . I've did some research and I jumped the relay at the box. It kicks the clutch and and if I hold it man the ac blows cold. So I bypassed it thinking it was low on pressure. I pumped a pound of Freon in it it brought the pressure close to specs but as soon as I undo the bypass 'll the clutch disengauges . So I replaced the transducer thinking it was the problem(60 bucks wasted) but it wasnt. So then I test the connector that goes to the transducer and I have no power going to it. I need to get this fixed asap as I'm trying to resell the truck and make some extra cash.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/18/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 3 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Do you have a scan tool with live data?
I don't but I'm not getting the check engine light. Can we trouble shoot without it
We can try.. its just gonna be a lot more work having to check everything instead of knowing whether or not the computer is trying to engage the clutch.
Do you have a multimeter?
Yup explain both ways because I can drive it to the parts house and use their tool
I am not going to do double the work. You let me know which way you want to check and well get to it.
If you have access to a scan tool start by checking the A/C requested PID and see if the computer is in fact trying to turn it on. That will save us some steps.
That will be in freeze frame?
No. It will be in live data.
It will say ac? Sorry new to this
It should say A/C Request (yes or no)Also check for the A/C pressure in the scan tool and see what its saying.
If they have a decent scan tool that will access the HVAC module also check the evap temp sensor through there.
I'll see if their tool does that and get back with you
Sounds good. I will be standing by. once you get what you can we can dig in for manual testing.
Man their tool wouldn't go that far but it did have the high pressure switch and relay codes but I have installed new already I'm not getting any power to high pressure switch which I've read is suppose to have what like 5vs.
I reset and still no go
Im not nearly as interested in the codes as I am the PIDs. But it could help. What codes are in it and did they come back after you cleared them?
P0645 p0533 both which I have replaced codes didn't reappear nor was a engine light on
Pull out the a/c clutch relay and check for power on the terminals where the relay came from
As I stated I have tried the relay. I have power there I can jump it and it works. I've tried a different working relay and it doesn't kick the clutch in only when I bypass it it will kick on
That doesnt answer my question though.
How does it not? You asked me if it had power, right? If I can jump it there's power
So yea there is power to 86 and 30 I believe or something like that
I've read that the transducer is suppose to give a ground to the pcm if it's working that makes the clutch relay kick in
So I assume you do not have a meter?
I told you I did man
Are you spaced out?
Look man if your gonna go around in circles I want another expert
Im not spaced out Im just not getting answers of someone who is checking what Im asking to be tested. I will opt out if you like. Hang tight and another expert should be along shortly.
Clearly I have tested it . I can get my clutch to kick on only when I bypass the relay with direct or by opening it up and clicking the relay. You asked if I have power. That in itself says I have power bub.
Man lol
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Your truck has a pressure transducer rather than a pressure switch. There won't be any power at the transducer because it's a sensor. It will have a 5v reference, 5v pullup on the signal wire with the sensor unplugged and key on, and a sensor ground.
If you don't have 5v on two of the wires at the transducer with it unplugged and the key on then you either have open circuits on both wires or they're both shorted to ground. You have 0v on both of these wires?
Broke multi meter but with a low voltage test light I get no voltage but with the test light grounded if I touch onrbof the pins in the connector it kills the truck from what I have read that 5v is connected to tps idle air ... Etc .. and I think with it connected the condenser fan comes on I'm running it bypassed right now
You won't be able to use a test light and you certainly can't apply power or ground to these wires, it will damage the PCM. A digital voltmeter is necessary to check the voltages.
Ok which wires should have voltage
The black/light blue is the sensor ground, the other two should have 5v.
Only got 5v from the two blue / black wires but not voltage well .1 on orange wire
There aren't any blue/black or orange wires.
The black/light blue wire is the sensor ground.
The violet/white wire is the 5v reference.
The dark blue wire is the signal wire and shoudl also have 5v with the sensor unplugged and key on.
I know they did have a round type but this one is square
You there
That's the correct connector. If you have 5v on two wires with the unplugged and ground on the other then the wiring is good.
On have 5v one one the two dark wires no voltage at Orange
I can't pay more for this question. My original question is not answered either. I picked medium and this is the correct amount of info I need . You have not provided information leading to the resolvement of my issue
So I need to find the cause of the connector only having voltage to one leg and not two. No voltage to the orange wire
??
You said two wires had 5v.
Your question is open for others. If someone wishes to help they will respond here. Good luck with your repairs.
Lol what a mechanic