Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge ram 1500 sprot: Can i put a 318 from a 1977 dodge into

Customer Question

Can i put a 318 from a 1977 dodge into my 1997 dodge with a 318 magnum
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Basically the short answer is no. The 318 from a 1977 is different than a 318 from a 1997.
The cylinder heads are different on the older engine and as a result you won't be able to bolt on the intake manifold. There are other differences that make this an impossible swap. Even if you were to swap the entire "Carburated" engine, it would NOT pass emissions. Also, in many states, it is illegal to install an older engine in a newer vehicle. This alone would force an Emissions Inspector to fail the emissions test due to the visual inspection...
There are other differences in addition to the items mentioned.. Why are you considering doing this swap?