How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert R Your Own Question
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 4409
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
Robert R is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dodge ram 1500 sprot: Can i put a 318 from a 1977 dodge into

Customer Question

Can i put a 318 from a 1977 dodge into my 1997 dodge with a 318 magnum
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Basically the short answer is no. The 318 from a 1977 is different than a 318 from a 1997.
The cylinder heads are different on the older engine and as a result you won't be able to bolt on the intake manifold. There are other differences that make this an impossible swap. Even if you were to swap the entire "Carburated" engine, it would NOT pass emissions. Also, in many states, it is illegal to install an older engine in a newer vehicle. This alone would force an Emissions Inspector to fail the emissions test due to the visual inspection...
There are other differences in addition to the items mentioned.. Why are you considering doing this swap?