Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge Calio: I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber with a cvt trans.

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber with a cvt trans. When I put it in gear the car "shudders". When you try to move it gets worse. The trans went to 4000 rpm and wouldn't go down and couldn't go faster than 25 mph.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Is the check engine light on? If so, has it been scanned for codes yet?
Have you checked the fluid level and condition of fluid?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The check engine light is on and the cvt trans can only be checked by the dealer. The code has not been checked. This is my daughters car and she is stranded at work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It also seems slow to go into reverse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no visible leaking under the vehicle
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, from the symptoms that you described, I am concluding that there has been an Internal Transmission Failure. There are very few moving parts in the CVT transmission and when something lets go internally it normally causes damage throughout. I HIGHLY recommend to tow it to the dealer for diagnosis. I suspect that the transmission will probably need to be replaced after everything is said and done...
Continuing to drive it, especially if the RPM is going to 4000 rpm and the vehicle is barely moving at 25 mph will cause further damage. Because of this, I would have to say that this alone would take out the transmission in a hurry. Driving it with this problem will cause a possible repairable condition to escalate to the transmission needing to be replaced..
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .
Thank you!
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Robert did a great diagnosis. Unfortunately it's not what I wanted to hear even though I presumed the answer I got was what I thought.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for letting me know...
If you have additional questions on this concern, Don't hesitate to ask. I'm here for you even after you rate my answer....
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...