Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

When in drive and removing foot from brake to accelerate, truck

Customer Question
begins to move backwards 10-15...
when in drive and removing foot from brake to accelerate, truck begins to move backwards 10-15 feet on an incline. This is a scary situation especially when my 15 year old is driving and seems to be safety issue. Why is this happening? Is this a torque converter issue? How can this be corrected? My Dodge Ram 1500 is 2014'
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
How steep is this incline?
Its not a steep incline, mild incline
Actually it is NORMAL for the vehicle to roll back on a mild to steep incline. There are no provisions built in for "Hill Start Assist" on an automatic transmission equipped vehicle. IF this were a manual transmission equipped vehicle it could have been equipped with hill start assist but automatics do not have this...
From every thing that you explained, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. There is NO corrective action for this concern. About all that I would suggest that if you are on a mild or steep incline, go ahead and use the left foot on the brake to keep from rolling back until you have your right foot on the accelerator pedal and begin to accelerate.
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .
Thank you!
Robert
That really doesn't make sense. Why would I use my left foot? I have been driving for over 30years+ and never taught to use my left foot on the brake, use one foot-the RIGHT FOOT. So this makes no sense to teach to my 15 year old to drive with two feet on an automatic. All my cars never rolled backed when placing my foot off the brake to accelerate. And if a car is directly behind me my truck is now going to roll back and hit them. In speaking with several others, this is a safety issue. Thank-you, but your answer is unacceptable
Dodge Mechanic: MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you...
I have to agree with Robert here. This is a normal condition for vehicles across the board. The torque converter is meant to slip when the engine is at idle to prolong the life of the torque converter and prevent excess heat from the torque converter. Once the engine RPMs increase slightly the torque converter will engage and move the vehicle. Anyone who lives in a mountainous region is well aware of this and understands how to drive their vehicle. Some vehicle's have hill start assist, mostly with manual transmissions but some automatics have this also. The vehicle recognizes that the vehicle is on an incline and that you are holding the brake. When you release the brake pedal the brakes will hold until you accelerate or after about five seconds. Most vehicles are not equipped with hill start assist. I can see if your truck is supposed to have it or not if you provide the last eight of your VIN. With a truck which weighs more than most cars/SUVs the condition may be more apparent and you would need to adapt your driving habits. Without hill start assist this is a completely normal condition for any vehicle.
Please let me know if you need more help or information. Thank you!
I 100% disagree...my Chevy Suburban doesn't roll backwards, other drivers disagree & other mechanics disagree with you. Even my husband's dodge truck doesn't roll backward or other trucks owned
No problem, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. At this time, I would recommend those mechanics that agree with you to tell you what is wrong and what needs to be done to repair the problem.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert
Thank-you; I have and its in writing from a qualified mechanic. Their is no need to contact me again!
.
Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master