Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge ram: I have an 04 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9 I'm having…

Customer Question
I have an 04 Dodge...
I have an 04 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9 I'm having tranny issues when I take off it seems to stay in first and revs to about 2500-3000 rpm before it shifts but usually I have to let off the pedal and push again to shift what can it be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/9/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Lou P, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician
Have you tried to manually shift from first to second and see if it shifts correctly then ?
I tried and no it doesn't
Ok let me check to see what common issue it may have. Can you give me your vin please? Also was the fluid and filter the only thing you have tried ? How many miles on the truck. ?
Yes only thing I have tried and 235xxx
Ok. I'll check back in a bit.
Dodge Mechanic: Richard, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Dodge Technician
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
This could be caused by a few different things. Your upshifts are controlled by governor pressure and your downshifts are controlled by throttle pressure and here are the things you should check!
1-Check your throttle valve cable on the driver front side of the transmission. It connects to a throttle valve lever. When the gas pedal is up the lever should be all the way forward and when you start pressing the pedal it should start moving rearward, The lever has a return spring on it to return the lever to the front. Check this for binding/sticking and make sure it works freely!
2-Your governor pressure has to be monitored with a scan tool. In drive stopped the governor pressure should be 0 psi and as you start accelerating the pressure should rise. I use a scan tool along with a pressure gauge hooked to the governor pressure port on the right side of the transmission then I compare to make sure the sensor is working properly. Governor solenoids are the most common part that fails with these 42/44/46/47/48re transmissions. I always replace the solenoid along with the sensor if found faulty. They are easy to replace you just have to pull the pan off to replace.
3-Another thing it could be is a sticking valve in the valve body and the only way to repair it is to replace the valve body or have it rebuilt by a professional.
4-Another thing you could check is the output speed sensor. This sensor tells the PCM the output shaft speed of the transmission which is then used for governor pressure calculations for the electronic governor. When the output speed sensor signal is missing it will have either no upshift or a delayed upshift depending on year. The output speed sensor can be checked with a scan tool or an oscilloscope. You can also check the resistance with an ohm meter to see if it is open or shorted. The resistance should be around 580-700 ohms.
5-Sometimes if your transmission won't up shift out of low until you get your revs and speed way up and then have to back off to get it to up shift you could have a front band that is way to loose, broke or fallen apart. This will not allow a shift into second gear and it will go right from first to third. A good way to tell if your front band isn't holding the front clutch drum, is to lock out O/D with the switch, place the shifter into drive and get the transmission to upshift out of first. Once it upshifts, pull it into manual second and see if the transmission downshifts into second or into first. If the transmission goes into second and you apply the throttle, it will start to pull and you will pick up speed. If the front band isn't holding the engine will just rev up and you won't be able to go faster.
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
matt the other expert will be more equipped to answer your question at this point, i agree with his suggestions. i will opt out so you both may continue, i wish you the best, ***** *****
ok i have opted out, i wish you the best , Lou
Hello, I'm just checking in to see the information I provided was helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
Richard, Dodge Technician