Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Dodge Ram 1500: . I'm trying to wire a four pin trailer

Customer Question

Hi. I'm trying to wire a four pin trailer plug at the back of a 04 ram 1500. I have located the four wires. I tested the wires with a light power tester. The yellow wire lights the tester when left blinker is activated the brown wire activates when I turn on head lights. I get nothing from green wire when right turn signals is activated. Also no wires activate when brake are pushed. I checked all fuses and they all appear to be good. Don't know what to do next. I'm renting a uhaul Friday and I'm sure they won't let me leave without a light check. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.This truck did not come with a 4 pin trailer harness. Youre gonna be dealing with aftermarket wiring and if you got nothing on the brakes yet you have ONE turn signal I wonder if they didnt tag into the tail lights and not use a modulator.Your best bet is to get a modulator and do it right. U haul should have them.
Actually I take that back. The wiring should be in place for the 7 pin. You can connect to that to run a 4 pin. You wont need a modulator.
Check fuse 47 in the integrated power module (under hood fuse box) and make sure its good. That powers your right turn signal. If thats good try swapping the right and left relays and see if the right works then. If so you got a bad relay.
If its running through the factory wiring the left brake light should work on that side too. They share wiring.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So where is the relay located
The relays are both in the IPM. Just a moment I can give you a diagram
Actually on yours they are internal in the IPM. You cant replace them so if that is the issue you would need to take it apart and fix it or replace the whole IPM. Here is a link to a youtube video showing how to fix it if youre handy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFKyhIg4MHc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK so I should watch that and rebuild. Is it expensive? If the fuse is good and left blinker work and I have running lights but no right signal and no brake light this should fix it…actually my plug in tester lights up the left signal light on tester
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I hit brakes
OK. Then you do have brake lights. So your problem is either in the green wire between the IPM and the trailer plug or the fuse or relay. Did you check the fuse?
Its the fuse more often than anything else. If it comes down to it I would rebuild the IPM rather than buy a new one. The relay will cost you a few bucks and you should be able to put it in in less than an hour vs 300 bucks or more for a new IPM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes fuse looks good. Could u guess at cost of parts to rebuild I'm?
Just the cost of a relay. 5 or 10 bucks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool thanks I'll try that tomorrow
No problem. Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK how do I do the rating thing?
It used to be you just clicked on a happy smiley face. That may have changed. Let me check.
You can give your rating by selecting one of the five stars located on the top right of the question page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks again
No problem