Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Caliber: I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber and recently had to have…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Dodge...
I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber and recently had to have the slave cylinder replaced. Now it grinds going into 3rd gear. We've began the process to replace the syncro but have found that it looks fine. What doesn't look fine however, is the Reverse Idler Gear. It shows some chipping. What could be causing this? We can replace the gear but don't want it to continue happening.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/8/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
If the slave was going bad and not completely releasing the clutch then both the wear to the 3rd synchro and the damage to the rev idler could be related to the failure. Even a little bit of drag on the clutch can cause damage to the reverse parts and depending on driving habits the 2nd and 3rd synchros are usually the first damaged also.
But the 3rd synchro didn't show any damage. In your opinion, will replacing the reverse idler be enough now that the slave cylinder has been replaced?
It is impossible to measure wear to the 3rd synchro, I would replace it if you are in that far. The reverse idler could not have caused a grind in 3rd, so it has to be one of the third gear parts, how did the teeth on the gear and the sleeve look? As long as the other teeth on the reverse set aren't galled up by the failed idler you can probably re-use those.