sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Caravan: I have a 2005 DODGE CARAVAN well at first battery

Customer Question

I have a 2005 DODGE CARAVAN well at first battery died. Then spark plug wire was arcking against the igsaust manifold. An cleaned out the thortal body . and it ran fine. But two days later I turn on a.c. and alternator starts smell burnt an coil inside alternator turned black. I don't want to buy a alternator an it burn out if it's going to do it again. Need to know why this happen .
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If there weren't any other electrical issues at the time the alternator failed then odds are the alternator itself was the issue. If the alternator output cable was shorted to ground it would burn the fusible link but shouldn't damage the alternator.
Overcharging is hard on an alternator but if it was overcharging then the battery light should have been on.
Continually having to work hard to charge a failing battery will shorten alternator life. The old battery may have been the root cause of the issue.
You can make sure the alternator control circuits and output cable aren't shorted and the battery can be tested, but it shouldn't have an issue if it was just replaced. Other than these few things there really isn't anything that would need to be checked before replacing the alternator. Once the new one is in place then you can make sure it isn't over or undercharging and there are no other electrical issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh almost forgot battery light did come right before it happen.
The battery light came on because charging voltage was either too low or too high. Most likely voltage was low.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks again
You're welcome!