Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge ram cummings 3500 4x4 single cab dually: What causes

Customer Question
What causes popping noise from...
What causes popping noise from body or frame flex on a 2007 dodge cummings 3500 4x4 single cab dually pickup
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/7/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Is this vehicle equipped with Nerf Bars or Running Boards?
Nope, it has no aftermarket accessories
What area of the vehicle is the popping coming from? Front, rear or center area?
When you're in it driving it sounds like it's coming from the center between the cab and bed pretty much center
You mentioned cab mounts but didn't mention the bed mounting bolts. Check to make sure all bed fasteners are tight and make sure bed has no cracks in the mounting supports..
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Ok, I'll double check everything
You have not yet answered my question
I'm waiting for your response from checking all the Bed Mounting Bolts, Have you checked these yet?
Also have you checked for debris trapped between the cab and bed? If something is trapped in between it will definitely cause noises when the body and frame are flexing..
Basically there is no common failures that will cause the popping noise as described. Because of this, all I can do is offer suggestions for you to check. If you would like a "Definite" answer, a technician WILL have to be in front of the vehicle and be able to drive it to hear for himself the noise...
I may be able to help further if you are able to record a video of you driving it and flexing the body to make the noise. If I could hear the noise for myself, I may be able to offer some better suggestions...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
I am a technician ASE certified also, I just thought a dodge tech. might of ran into the same noise before and would know what it was. Everything you have told me I have already done, that's why I was asking for help. The customer has picked up the truck and will be dropping it off again soon. I will record noise then and get back to you if I don't get it figured out by then.
I'm in the process of checking tech. bulletins now.
I had already checked for service bulletins, there were no related service bulletins but I did find a Star Case referring to a popping noise in front while turning. This didn't sound like your concern so I didn't think it was worth mentioning...
I'll go ahead and post it so you can read through it...
Attachment: --Click here to view--
Let me know when you have a video recording and we can go from there....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, the Deposit you have posted with JustAnswer DOES NOT credit me until you leave a "POSITIVE" rating... Please Remember, my answer is based on the information you posted here, so feel free to add any additional information you feel may be helpful...When I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate my service to complete the transaction...Bonuses are ALWAYS Appreciated!...Need more help? Just ask...you can follow up on this question even after you leave a Rating! If you are not satisfied with my answer, let me know by clicking the "Reply to Expert" Button, and I will be happy to continue helping.
Nope, it's definitely not in the front area or front suspension. It is a metallic pop like the frame or body tweaking, you would think that the frame was cracked or a bolt was loose on a cross member the way it sounds.
Speaking of loose bolts, did you tighten ALL bolts that you can get to? Especially Crossmember bolts as slightly loose bolts in crossmembers can cause popping noise..
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Did all that before I contacted you
No prob, I must verify this to make sure all bases are covered...
I'll wait for the video and we can continue at that time...
Thank you,
Robert
Ok
Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master