Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge ram 1500 lariat: I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Lariat 5.2 motor.Proble…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Dodge...
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Lariat 5.2 motor.
Problem is no to plugs
Here is relative info to problem
Turned on hazards and fuse blew keeping hazards, turn signals and brake lights from working.
Drove to auto store and replaced hazard fuse that was bad. As soon as I did, the truck would not start and the ASD relay constantly chattered. This truck has never not started immediately and again this problem was immediate after I replaced hazard fuse.
Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/7/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Open the file below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99ASD.pdf
At the ASD relay, are pins 30 and 86 showing consistent battery voltage with the key on?
If you swap the ASD relay, does this change things?
Did you do any diag for the short that blew the hazard fuse?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Relays were swapped around and chatter stopped, engine still not firing. Did not diagnose why hazard fuse blew. Did notice trailer wiring with most wires exposed and making contact with each other or metal trailer hitch.
That is all detail related, hazard blew, brake lights and turn signals also quit working. Replaced fuse for Hazard and all worked except truck won't fire. Have experienced 2 other occasions in last 6 months with blown fuse on dash side.
I also noticed dash gauges, such as gas gauge now are not working and did work prior to replacing hazard fuse.
My skill level is amateur, I will do some of my own work but has to be fairly cut and dry. Truck is at a small shop currently and I fear they will do a process of elimination that will cost me more than I want to pay.
You will need to perform a lot of wire tracing to find the shorts to ground that are causing these fuses to blow. Can you see what the engine is missing, fuel pressure, ignition spark, or injector pulse?
It is missing fuel pressure, ignition spark and injector pulse according to tech that checked it.

Being that your not wanting a shop to address this from the fees. Are you going to be doing the repairs and diag yourself, if so do you know how to check those things to see if in fact none are working?

A shop has had the vehicle and have successfully diagnosed the problem as a short in the fuse box. I was simply communicating your directions to them, as they were open to advice.

Glad you got it resolved.