Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Ram: I'm driving and the truck shuts off, starts right back

Customer Question

I'm driving and the truck shuts off, starts right back up, no engine light, 03 dodge ram, 4.7 magnum
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Ram to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.
Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no codes, it does it more frequently when engine has not been run / first thing in morning type thing, would it be anything to do with fuel pump? Low rpm? The ball in gas tank for vapor release?

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Kelly does it only shut off when coming to a stop?
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kelly, Did you get my last reply?
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello Kelly, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?
Chris