Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

SXT Caravan 3.8: Have a 2005 dodge caravan 3.8 engine transmission

Customer Question
Have a 2005 dodge caravan...
Have a 2005 dodge caravan 3.8 engine transmission was rebuilt about 100k miles ago now its acting wierd replkaced both speed sensors, not sure if its electronic issue or transmission going bad....van has 280k miles on it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
I dont want to be on some monthly bill plan !!! Just had a question, then it wants me to pay monthly and choose from 3 plans, and chat robot dissapears after it I gave credit card info.
6/4/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Richard, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Dodge Technician
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
What is your vehicle doing? Can you explain the symptoms in more detail?
It will drive fine for a while, then rpms go up but car doesnt seem to want to go, like transmission is not engaged or something.sometimes it feels like you ran over little speed sensors on side of hwy, but theres no bumps in road.mainly you step on gas and dont get the responce in take off like you should but rpms goes up
I have had to add transmission fluid every few months after having it rebuilt....like a slow leak somewhere, the way I could tell it was getting low is it would start not acting right, then after I topped it off it would be fine for a few months
My mechanic drained fluid the other day and saw no metal filings, no code came up on computer...I replaced 1 speed sensor for transmission and he replaced other one for transmission...now it is at place where it was rebuilt and they are checking it out.
Does the transmission go into limp in mode where it only has second and reverse gears?
Does reverse work normally?
reverse works, but a 4-6 months ago when I would start it up and try to engage reverse it would take a little bit b4 it worked but the last 3-4 months reversed has worked fine.if it goes in limp mode its usually just a little bit, if you turn off car and restart it, it might do ok for a little while.the longer you drive it the more chance of rpms going up w/ out car going like it should.
Its hard to get a mechanic to drive it around long enough for it to mess up.They just drive it a couple miles say everything seems fine keep an eye on it.Then you drive it for awhile and it starts acting wierd in the transmission.
test
Is anyone working on this question ?
Dodge Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
tims auto repair
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer trouble codes?
are you saying the engine will rev up as if it shift to neutral before it gos into limp?
tell me all you can
thanks
Transmission shop just called said I needed new torque converter and solenoid pack, i told them I wanted a transmission cooler put on to, my cost will be 1200.
I dont know the codes, I tried to explain what its doing the best I can, but I dont have much more time now need to make decision.
i wouldnt think it is the converter..though,i do think you may have a bad solenoid block,,
if it was the converter..it wouldnt even pull in reverse
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
4 or 5 months ago it wouldnt go into reverse when I first started up, it would have to wait a bit.Then usually if I added more fluid it worked better.Now reverse hasnt given me a problem for a few months.
Engine light is always on, replaced o2 sensors several times, heard it could be gas cap, maybe because the little flapper in gas hole is broke could be causing it, mechanic couldnt get it to go off.
ok
if i were you,,i would try the solenoid block before pulling the transmission to replace the converter
thanks
tims auto repair
tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic