Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2011 dodge avenger ran out of gas. Got approx1 gal. and tried…

Customer Question
2011 dodge avenger ran out...
2011 dodge avenger ran out of gas. Got approx1 gal. and tried to start. Cranked several times but car was slightly on an incline so called for AAA. He came with a couple more gals.but now nothing happens. No crank or click from solenoid. Battery is only6 months old. AutoZone best.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
I am trying to reset the computer. I have both positive and negative terminal disconnected at the battery. How long does it take for the computer to reset.
6/3/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here
The best way to reset the computer is to remove both battery cables and touch them together, once you have done to reinstall them and if that is the problem , the computer is reset. If you are still having a problem after doing this, post back and we can work from there .
Ron I touched both cables together but my presets on the radio are still intact. Also I still have no crank at all. Lights come on including the dash and I can hear the fuel pump but that's it..
Are you able to do some testing?
Yes, what should I test?
The first thing you need to do is to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting, there should be if there is a no crank problem.
I'm gonna need a code reader for that right? Will autozone rent me one?
Yes you will and yes its very likely auto zone will loan you one. I would also consider taking you battery with you and have them test it to be sure its fully charged even though its only 6 months old just to be sure its not just the battery.
Ok I'm on it. I'll get back to u. Thanks.
Sure thing , I'm here when your ready.
12.10 volts isn't enough to do the job, is it.
The starter should crank with 12.10 volts.
Oh, ok. For now I'm gonna go get the reader since the battery is in such a great location.
Okay let do that and see if we can get a fault code reading
Ok Ron, NO CODES FOUND.
Unfortunately it may take a while for any to set since the battery has be disconnected . Was the car cranking okay before you ran out of gas? If you have a spare key have you tried using it?
Lately, I would say for the last month or so, when u turn the key, u have to hold it on start for a couple of seconds. It didn't used to be like that. In fact I thought I had a dead battery twice and borrowed jumper cables cuz I was fooled. However it did crank at least a half dozen times after we put the gas in. We were on a slight hill so we needed to get more and after we did, nothing. AAA sent a second guy to also try to jump start it with a portable booster but nothing. They looked at the fuses and relays under the hood and didn't see anything.
My thinking rite now is that I must have fried the starter or solenoid.
One way to test this would be to have a helper hold the key in the crank position and at the starter see take your volt meter and or 12 volt test light and see if you have power on the yellow/gray crank wire as well as the red battery wire, if that checks okay then you are right.
And no I don't have a spare key. Couldn't get the dealer to cough one up. To prevent getting locked out I had a key made for the doors . I know that one cranks the engine but won't let it keep running and so I tried it just to see but still dead.
Would that mean starter or solenoid or both.
Okay then let check the signal at the starter on both wires with the key in the crank position. If you had to do excessive cranking when it ran out of gas , it is possible you smoked the starter. The test would tell. There are only two post on the starter, both need power to crank the engine.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician