Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Ram 1500 4.&: I have a 02 Dodge 1500 4.7 with an intermittent

Customer Question
I have a 02 Dodge...
I have a 02 Dodge 1500 4.7 with an intermittent oil pressure problem. --I bought the truck used 3 years ago with 105K miles. Oil on the dipstick was clean (assumed it to be conventional Mineral oil) and they said they had just changed it. I ran that oil for a few thousand miles then change to 5-20 Mobil 1 . No Truck ran and still runs and starts great. One hot Texas day, at Idle in traffic the oil pressure switch went to zero. I shifted to neural and gained a few RPM then the pressure was OK. I did this several times. I got back home and changed the oil and then changed the oil pressure sensor. The problem happened again. I went 10W30 Synthetic but it recently happened again at 1500 RPM. Today I dropped the pan, but no apparent restriction in the oil pickup tube Truck now has about 120K miles.
Thanks
Michael G.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/2/2015
Dodge Mechanic: moparfl, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for using JA
I have seen this a few times and the real problem was with the instrument cluster and not a engine problem. I would first hook up a manual gauge to see is this is really losing oil pressure. Never seen anything that would cause this type of concern if the pickup screen is clean.
Thanks. What is involved in fixing the instrument cluster?
All you can do is replace it. You can order it through your dealer.
Would you prefer to use conventional oil or synthetic in this truck with this mileage?
I use synthetic in everything I own and have for years.
moparfl
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician