Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Caravan: 2005 dodge caravan brake indicator light comes on

Customer Question
2005 dodge caravan brake indicator...
2005 dodge caravan brake indicator light comes on when I start driving and reach about 20mph. Stays on until engine is shut off. Does not go on while backing, fluid full Parking brake fully retracted.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/2/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Yes, situation has not changed except, it does go on in reverse if you reach 20 mph going backward. There are no codes in the computer, checked at O'Reily Parts.
Hi
When this occurs, is the light still on when you stop but leave the engine running? If so then we need to do 2 steps, remove the cluster and ohm test the parking brake switch signal wire to see if its grounded, then use a diagnostic tool to look into the integrated power module to see if the brake fluid level sensor has tripped. Both sensors should be a open circuit if not to blame.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Once the light comes on it remains on until the engine is turned off. It does not come on until the vehicle is driven and reaches a speed of somewhere between 10 to 20 mph. and stays on solid until the engine is turned off. If the parking brake is pressed, the light goes on regardless of gear selection or driving the vehicle. If the key is turned on with the pedal depressed, the light goes on, off when parking brake released and back on when the speed is reached. Brake switch seems to function correctly.
Were you able to test the brake fluid level switch?
Any concerns with the ABS system or light?
I am not able to get to the switch to remove the plug, can the continuity be tested on the wire back away from the master cylinder? Should it be open or closed in the normal condition?There is a ABS light on, has been on for several months due to a bad wheel sensor but I have't had time to figure out which one and there is no brake code. The ABS light has been on and the brake light just came on last Wednesday after the vehicle was parked for about 10 weeks and through Tropical storm Ana.
Just so you know the ABS light can result in the brake light also coming on so it would be best to stop here and diagnose and resolve the ABS light. Yes you can test the reservoir switch at the wiring. The dark green/orange wire should have no continuity to ground.
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician