Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1992 Dodge D150 P/U 5.2 8cyl automatic - electrical issueI

Customer Question

1992 Dodge D150 P/U 5.2 8cyl automatic - electrical issue
I am looking for very specific advice for a complicated electrical issue that will likely require detailed knowledge of the wiring for this particular truck. I don't want to mislead anyone. I am willing to pay $100 or $50 per hour whichever is greater for the correct answers and a successful result but I don't want to waste your time with a great deal of guesswork.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.
I have all the factory wiring diagrams for this vehicle.
What kind of issues is it having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not able to send the question through
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relevant Facts:
A wire common to the engine, transmission and dash shorted and caused the wiring harness in the engine compartment through the bulkhead and up to the ignition switch to partially melt. 95% of the damaged wires and connectors have been replaced. I have wiring diagrams from Alldatadiy and a Haynes Repair Manual. Sections of those diagrams do not match the actual wiring and are not entirely consistent with one another
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Problem:
The truck turns over but does not start. There are some wires for which I cannot find the correct connections.Additional Information:
I have tried putting a small amount of gas in the fuel injection intake but the engine will not start
The fuel pump is new. The fuel pump relay, starter relay and ASD relay all test ok. When the key is turned (before cranking) the usual brief whirring sound from the fuel pump and click in the fuel pump relay are not present.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a plug for the Part Throttle Unlock Relay put there is no relay attached to the inside of the fender as shown in the wiring diagrams. One of the wires that is not connected is DB/WT and comes from the Park Throttle Unlock connector through the Engine Controller and stops. According to one of the wiring diagrams it goes to the Park Throttle Unlock Solenoid. However, since there is no relay for this connector I don't see how this could be a part of the problem. It may be that the Park Throttle Unlock Relay is missing and I need to install one. I took an old fuel pump relay (that tests ok) and connected the Park Throttle Unlock connector but the engine still doesn't start.Is it possible that the Single Board Engine Controller was damaged from the short? Is there a way to test this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. sent thorugh in pieces. let me know if you received my message
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you there??
Got it,
Man you were not kidding when you said complicated..lol
To be honest i do not have time to get into this tonight and i wont be around much this weekend so i will opt out, BUT at least everyone else here now knows the situation and if someone wants to tackle it they will reply and you will get an email so you can converse. Do NOT reply back to me or it will take your question off the list and lock it to me and will push you further down the list.
Best wishes my friend! I wish i were there to help you.
LJ
Ok, it's open for others now. Good luck.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.
Please accept my offer and call me so we can talk on the phone.
Thank you!
Amedee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. When are you available to talk?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
I will be available this afternoon.
I can send you a reply when I am back on line later today.
Amedee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!
I just got home and will be home the rest of the day.
Please feel free to accept my offer and call me when your available to talk.
Amedee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Called; no answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(###) ###-#### *****
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,
You need to accept my additional offer before we do the phone call.
Amedee
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Bryan,
I tried calling you back but there was no answer.
IF the fuel pump and ASD relay are not working with the key on and cranking, then chances are the PCM or computer is not working. This would be caused by a bad computer, the computer could be missing an input or the computer could be shorted out. There are a few different reasons why this could be happening.
Your first test is to check to be sure that the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes on with the key on for a bulb check and then verify that you have 5 volts going to the TPS and MAP sensor with the key on.
Amedee