Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1996 ram1500 5.9: yeah hey sir i have a 1996 ram 1500 6 months…

Customer Question
yeah hey sir i have...
yeah hey sir i have a 1996 ram 1500 6 months ago had radiator hose leak so replaced both.then it seemed to be loosing coolant so we changed cap and water pump a few months ago seemed to be fine for couple months then i noticed if i was towing somthing it would wont to over heat or run high.then one day i pulled in to job noticed pressure was back flowing out reservoir tank was concerned.waited tell it cooled down topped off with coolant.then within 5 miles started overheating so ididnt allow to get to hot took time to get few more blocks home and changed thermostat as well as outlet neck and gasket flushed radiator and purged and re filled system held 210 once got that warm for couple miles then started to run hot but not red lining but.what do you think is problem .note i think oil pump needs to be replaced even after new oil and filter pressers sinks when r.p.m.s are down?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dodge
5/28/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.
.
However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)
.
The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.
.
Block tester available is:
Napa BK.(###) ###-####
OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE
Part Number:
27145
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search
.
*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***
..
.
If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.
If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
I'm not understanding gas in crank case portion of answer
Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups.
However, there is no mention about any gas in crankcase. There is however, a mention of exhaust gases in the cooling system as well as a mention of NOT filling the crankcase with coolant in most cases, as some people think.