Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Journey: I have a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT. It will not start.

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT. It will not start. The brake is stiff, the steering wheel won't turn and it will not go out of park. The lights come on the key still locks and unlocks the car. But nothing happens when I try to start it not even a click noise. I tried getting it jumped and I tested the battery it is good. I also unplugged my battery for an hour or so in hopes it would reset things. I have no clue what else to do or look for and I really don't want to have to get it towed to the dealership.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
Is there a red security light on in the dash?
Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only thing that lights up on the dash is the mileage. I haven't seen a red security light
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
do you have another key to try and start the car with? also does the ignition turn to run and accessory? do the brake lights come on when you press the brake??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I do not have another key. But we tested the key and it doesn't say bad key. The brake lights come on and it does turn to run and ACC.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok if there is no security light and brake lights work it could just be a starter , are you going to attempt to fix yourself ? How far do you want to go or are you just looking for a heads up on what it could be ?
And let me ask is this the push start button or do you have a physical key that you need to turn? Forgive me my journey is a 2013 and I'm not sure what year they started the push Button starter