Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2002 dodge dakota 4x4 automatic 8 cyl 4 door and the ABS does not seem to be work

Customer Question

I have a 2002 dodge dakota 4x4 automatic 8 cyl 4 door and the ABS does not seem to be working...the wheels lock up in emergency/hard braking situations. Is there an easy electronic fix to try, or what should I look at first? There does not appear to be any overheating issues...Randy
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** the ABS light on when driving or braking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the ABS light has never come on when driving.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
does the abs light come on for a few seconds, when the key is turned to the on position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it does, so the light itself does work. Also, just FYI the truck has 187,000 plus miles on it. Good rig, well maintained.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
ok, we need to see if there are any codes stored in the abs module, or if it can even communicate with the abs module, have you had this checked yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I have a code reader, but the check engine/problem light is not on. I'll go check to see if any codes are stored. I don't have a high-tech reader, it's pretty basic....
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
this will require a scanner that reads abs codes too, most basic code readers will only read engine codes,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, mine does not. there are no codes stored, but it only displays engine and A/T diagnostics. suggestions?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
I would first have the codes read, if the scanner does not show any codes, or will not communicate with the abs module, then you most likely have a bad abs module, it wont be a problem with power or grounds to the module, if the abs light comes on with the key for a bulb check, if there are codes, then this will also determine the fault,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Where is the ABS module located? Easy to access?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
It is bolted to the hydraulic pump assembly , under the hood, next to the brake booster, you remove the electrical connector form the module, then there are 4 bolts holding it to the hydraulic unit,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the help. I'll get the codes read. Happy Memorial Day!
Randy
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Anytime my friend,Tim