Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ram 2500: My speedometer and tach just died. I have a automatic…

Customer Question
My speedometer and tach just...
My speedometer and tach just died. I have a automatic transmission. I have to put my foot into gas pedal pretty hard to get out of 1st.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
5/23/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
is it 2 or 4wd?
What size engine?
4x4 5.9l cummins
HI, This is usually caused by a faulty VSS(vehicle speed sensor, located at the rear of the transfer case. In addition to its signal used for both the speedometer and odometer, but also for transmission shifting parameters. You need to check for broken wiring going to it and repair as needed. If ok, replace the sensor Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Will the faulty sensor cause the speedometerfor and tach to bottom out to zero? All my other gages work ok
HI,
Yes. The VSS signal is used for speedometer/odometer, tachometer and shift parameters
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager