Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Caravan: Replaced both my rear shocks with monroe conversion

Customer Question
Replaced both my rear shocks...
Replaced both my rear shocks with monroe conversion 90019 on my 2008 dodge caravan. I previously had Nivomat shocks. This kit came with a new springs, and new shocks. The replacement went fine, but now it sure seems loud. Lots of squeaks and noises. Can you think of anything I did? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
5/19/2015
Dodge Mechanic: I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

This is the complete strut assemble right ?

Is the noise coming from top of the strut,i mean from strut mount ?

You may want to get another set or just the side is making noise ,this is a

very common problem ,i don't know who put this struts together but i have replaced 2 and three times the same struts until get the quit one.

Also ,this is not just the Monroe brand ...you find the same problem with KYB's .

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you very much.

This is not a strut assembly. This is a rear conversion. http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/90019

On the rear of this van there is a shock, and also a separate coil spring.

I believe the nivomat used a softer spring, so this kit includes a new shock, and a firmer spring. These are separate.

OK ,sorry i miss understand you.

This is pretty much strait forward job as long as you put the coil spring rubber insulators in place ,tight the shocks bolts really good and the track bar bolts in case you have loosen them up ,you should be fine .

What kind of noise are you getting ?

Do you know if the new shocks are bottom out , sometimes you get this kits but the shocks are a bit short and hit the end when you go over a street bump.

Let me know.

Thank you.

How tight should the shock bolts be? I made them tight, but did not crank down on them. I'm getting lots of squeeking, and grinding noises. Hard to explain, they just seem loud. Thanks for the help.
Should I grease the shock bolts?

Hi there....yes ,a little lube on the shock bolts will help getting it tighter , you should be good with a half of inch drive ratchet..

Can you duplicate the noise just bouncing the vehicle up and down ?

Did you have any of this noise before ?

Let me know.

Thank you.

I did have noise thats why I replaced them. I guessing that noise was coming from the worn bushings on the nivomat shocks. This is much more squeking and Im worried its coming from the new springs.

Do you know how many pounds torque the shock bolts should be? Same for upper and lower?

Hi there....

You may have to look for possible noises other then the shock/coil springs , the bushings on the two arms from rear to frame are known to go bad ,the track bar bushings bad/loose are also common

.

I would also spin the rear wheels and listen for possible noise from the backing plate or the wheel bearing itself.

The torque for the shocks is 55 Lbs for both upper and lower bolts and the track bar mounting bolts/nuts is 60 Lbs.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Jerry, Master Mechanic