sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2500 flat bed base model sl: 2008 dodge 2500 5.9 stopped running

Customer Question

2008 dodge 2500 5.9 stopped running won't start.
the code it showed is lost communication with front module.
replaced ticm ( fuse Panel )
will not accept vin to be programmed to ticm.
when you turn the key won't crank to start.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if the ECM is down or the CAN C bus could be down. If the CAN C bus is down you'll have no communication with the ECM, TIPM and ABS modules.
If the ECM is the only module that won't communicate then it may have lost a post or ground, it may have failed, a 5v reference circuit may have shorted to ground or a sensor ground circuit may have shorted to voltage. These could be wiring issues, an internally shorted fan clutch or sensor.
If the ECM is down then the voltmeter will stay down with the key on, the transfer pump won't run, and you won't hear the injectors ticking when the key is first turned on.
If the ECM is the only thing that will communicate and is down then it's powers and grounds will need to be load tested as well as testing for shorts on the reference and sensor ground circuits. If all is ok then the ECM can be condemned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By the time I received your response to my problem with my 2008 dodge ram . I took the truck to the dodge dealer and gave them the information I received from you . the dealer told me they were checked the wiring and have found nothing .
How long should it take them to check all the items you noted ?
The dealer told me the new TIPM was defected and replaced it under the Warranty of the new part ?
The new tipm will still not program to the truck , will not accept vin.
I went to the dodge dealer and programmed a new key to the truck . now there is three keys programmed.
ran the codes with my key programmer
the new codes that show after the dealer has worked on the truck
showed ECU Normal
lost communication with front modules
Mismatch ECU ( this is showing because the TIPM was changed )
what else can I have them check . it seem like they are lost
The VIN can't be manually programmed in the TIPM. It learns the VIN and build configuration automatically when plugged in and the key is turned on.
Does the ECM communicate with a scan tool?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dealer stated the scan tool is communicate with the ECM
he also ask if there was any after market programming for tuning installed ( none that I know of )
he was question information that he received from the ECU , like it had information missing , did not give me any pacific items .
he said he has been a dodge mechanic for 20 years .it seemed like (he did not like me asking question) . even though I am just trying to help fix my truck
he also said he spent two hours reading wiring diagramsHe is contacting Dodge
is the any thing else I can try ?
Did it die going down the road? Did the problem start after a repair, jump start, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The truck was being driven and just died
turn the key and no response ( would not crank) every thing else worked.
had truck towed to a repair shop . They disconnected batteries over night .
next day connected batteries truck started .
drove truck another 200 miles truck die again . Truck has not restarted after that.Hooked key programmer up to truck after installing the tipm the read out showed PANIC
plus lost communication with front module
Do the horn, headlamps, turn signals and wipers work correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes they do
Does the S***** *****ght in the instrument cluster stay on solid?
Does the transfer pump run?
Do you hear the injectors ticking with the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the security light on the dash turns off when you insert the key and turn it to the run positionthe glow plugs click onthe other two items I'm not sure about the dealership is closed
The light ticking of the injectors is what I was wondering about rather than the single clunk of the intake heater solenoid.