Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

RAM: I HAVE A 1997 1500 RAM PICKUP AND RECENTLY THE

Customer Question
I HAVE A 1997...
I HAVE A 1997 1500 RAM PICKUP AND RECENTLY THE 50 AMP ENGINE CONTROL FUSE KEEPS BLOWING I INSTALLED A 5O AMP BREAKER AND IT POPS EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
the trouble code 1389 comes up when this happens I changed the relay that didn't help
hello
5/8/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 2 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Sorry you have had to wait so long, but I can assist you if you still need help. Does the fuse seem to blow when the engine RPM's get higher? Or when turning or ???
Chris
no neither most of the time just driving down the road
Ok, let me look at the diagram. I will be back asap.
Chris
What is the number of the fuse? Or does it only say "engine control"?
Chris
ENGINE CONTROL only
does the auto shut down work with the speed sensor?
Ok, found it. It is fuse F4. That is the feed for the ASD relay circuits. The ASD relay supplies voltage to the heated oxygen sensors, the fuel injecors, and the ignition coil. Look at the wiring at the Oxygen sensors. I have seen where the wiring can either melt ion an exhaust pipe, or rub on the drive shaft. If that all looks ok, then inspect the insulation on the harness going to the fuel injectors and the ignition coil. See if you can see any wiring that is rubbing somewhere and shorting out. Check those items and hopefully this information will help.
Chris
No the ASD does not work with the speed sensor.
Chris
I will look in the morning thanks
in my dodge service manual there is a black wire that goes to the trans any idea what that is for ?
That wire is for the transmission shift solenoids and sensors.
Chris
last month when I would back the truck out of the barn and stop and then put it in drive the truck would just shut down after cranking it for about 20 sec then it would start up
That is probably something different and not related to the fuse blowing. A problem like that may be fuel or ignition related. Is it still doing that recently?
Chris
no
Ok, well one thing that comes to mind is a throttle body that has become coked up with carbon deposits. When the throttle body gets dirty, then the airflow going around the throttle plate gets restricted. This can cause low or no idle and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop. The other thing it may be is an idle motor that is sticking and cannot react fast enough to maintain an acceptable idle. I recommend purchasing a can of spray throttle body cleaner and clean out the inside of the throttle body. Be sure to clean the throttle plate paying attention to the edges of the plate (follow the directions on the can). If you still have this problem, then replacing the idle motor would be the next step.
Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,
Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman