How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Eric Your Own Question
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 32049
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
Eric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My center console shifter of my 2006 Dodge Charger rt, has

Customer Question

My center console shifter of my 2006 Dodge Charger rt, has a malfunction. It will not let me out of park. When I try to release it with the manual override button, it will not release either. Also when the vehicle is turned off and the car is still in gear, it will not allow the vehicle to go into park. This poses a larger problem if there is an accident and that part breaks.
Submitted: 2 years ago via
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there may be a recall on yours involving the shift interlock system.
I need the 17 digit VIN number and also the production date. Open your driver's door and either on the door or the door sill is a manufacturer sticker. It will have the month and date production.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
vin 283ka566h215442
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it is not part of the recall, but you might want to call Chrysler to see if they will goodwill yours since it is a known issue. There is a return spring lever hook on the shift interlock that breaks. The shifter assembly has to be removed and then the upper shifter housing separated from the lower shifter housing and the spring lever and hook assembly removed.