sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Wife driving 2002 Dodge dakota reported white smoke coming

Customer Question

wife driving 2002 Dodge dakota reported white smoke coming from under hood. she stopped the truck and we had it towed home. Towtruck guy said he smelled power steering fluid and burnt at that. I have noticed leaks on the pressure line right above the steering rack. Rack is wet directly below the leak but nowhere else. Rack was replaced 60k miles ago. Truck has 160k miles. when starting the engine the engine behaved abmormally- running high then bogging down. When I turned the steering wheel it accentuated the engine rpm hunting.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The idle fluctuation most likely isn't related to the leak. The most common causes for an idle fluctuation would be an erratic throttle position sensor. When a TPS gets worn it can start to create voltage fluctuations in it's signal. The engine controller will see these fluctuations and think you're opening and closing the throttle when you aren't, so engine speed follows. While idle is fluctuating try unplugging the TPS. IF it settles down then replace the sensor.