Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

3 different things.... 1. windshield washer doesn't work... removed

Customer Question

3 different things....
1. windshield washer doesn't work...
removed pump from tank, connected to battery & it spins up great. Relay/switch/fuse...?
2. fog lamps don't illum....connected lamps to battery and they lite up. What's next?
3. A/C doors go to defrost when accelerating and/or going uphill (vacuum change) This is what I came to this site for initially.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. What is the year make and model of your dodge? Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2000 Dodge Ram 1500. Sorry I didn't know how this site worked when initially typing issues. I can either create more requests or you can charge more on this one if that's OK. I don't expect to get 3 things fixed for 20 bucks or so. Let me know. Thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, no problem. The AC going to defrost is a vacuum issue. Check and repair any vacuum lines/leaks. Look at the lines from the intake manifold going into the fire wall. Check the vacuum line at the cruise control. As far as the washer and fog lamps, it may be a failed switch or CTM (body computer). Check for any blown fuses first. Then we will go from there. Be sure to check the under hood and inside fuses. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only fuse I found was under the hood in a black fuse box by the battery labelled fog lites. I didn't see one for the washer. where would I look for the washer motor fuse? I did pull the 15 Amp fog fuse. The metal looks fine-not broken/melted. Let's deal with the vacuum last.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me research this and get back to you. It may be a few hours, but will be back asap. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, found the wiring diagram, and the washer pump fuse is the same as for the wiper motor. It is fuse # ***** in the fuse box at the left end of the dash. If that fuse is ok, then we will need to do some testing with a 12 volt test light. So get one if you do not have one. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Chris. I do have a 12v test light. Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to this until Monday. Until then....have a great weekend.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem. I have Monday off from my job at the dealer and will help you then. I will look for you then and you have a great weekend also! Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chris,
Ready to think about this again...since the wiper fuse is also the washer pump fuse and since the wipers work just fine, I haven't pulled the #6 fuse to look at it, but maybe I should? Otherwise what would you recommend next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BTW what time zone are you? I'm pacific time
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
I am Pacific also. Let me look at the wiring diagram and we will do some testing. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there is a solid Brown wire at the wiper switch (multifunction switch) That is the wire for the washer pump. Use your test light and see if there is power on that wire when you push the washer button. let me know Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I may be in over my head....the wiper switch is a rotating switch on the left hand stalk steering wheel. How do I get into the
end of the stalk to find the brown wire?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Remove the steering column covers. There are 3 #20 Torx screws on the bottom of the steering column cover. Remove those 3 screws and separate the upper and lower covers. You will then see the connector to the switch and can see the Brown wire. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got the center one out. both the L and R need a torx with a long shaft before the collar connection to the socket wrench. I'll try and get one at a parts store. It looks like I need it to be about 1 1/2" long. do you happen to know which chain store may carry them?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Sears or Home Depot will have the tool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
awesome - thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got the bottom half of the steering column cover off. can't get the top half off because I don't know how to remove the steering column height adjustment lever which exits the top half of the cover. From the bottom side I see a couple of connectors - no brown wires. I also see a large bundle of wires that goes up under the top half of the cover and one of those is brown, but I can't get to it.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
That lever should unscrew using a good pair of pliers and a shop towel. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
vice grips, shop towel & WD40---- now I see a large connector going into the left side rear of the assembly. Can I upload phone photos to this site? It would probably help you a lot to see what I see.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would be great! That paperclip icon is what you will click to upload images. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here's the view first from beneath looking up and second from the top looking down.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that connector is on the back of the switch. You will need to remove that other steering column cover (closer to the dash) to gain access to the connector. The connector will have a single 5/16" bolt in the center of it. Remove that bolt and then remove the connector. Inspect the terminals, and then locate that solid Brown wire. That is the wire that goes to the washer pump. Maybe you can jump 12 volts to it and see if the pump comes on. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
I need to get off line for about an hour, but will check with you later. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I left the back of the steering collar on because it has the shift lever exiting on the rt side and it seemed like removing the lower dash panel gave me enough room to get at the bolt and the plug. Can I take the black piece off of the blue plug to get at the back of the wires/pin connectors. Or can we count which connection hole the brown one and I can run a lead from the pin hole to the positive battery terminal to see if the pump spins up?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
You can take that black cover off. That would be the easiest way to do it. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - got it. I see it is totally accessible. Just to be sure.... solid brown (no stripes) connect to positive battery terminal - I assume it's grounded somewhere somehow to the frame..... yes?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Yes Solid with no stripe. Run positive battery to that terminal. The pump should come on. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well well well - pump spun up, washer fluid came out of a hose buried behind/beneath the battery with the rest of the hose eaten off and carried away by a pack rat probably. Good news and bad.... I can't see and have no idea where the other nipple connector is that actually gets the liquid to the windshield sprayers so when I buy a new hose I can connect it to the fluid tank...where does the other end go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS - I'll have to put the connector back on and try the switch to be sure that works as there could be two problems (switch and hose)
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Aha! The other end goes up and under the cowl. I would suggest removing the wiper arms and the cowl, then work your way back from the nozzles to the pump with the new hose and Tee fittings or straight nipples. So if the pump does not come on when using the switch, then replace the switch. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
switch works! I certainly wish I had tried to operate the washers in my garage with the hood up before going thru all this other stuff - but I learned a lot so I guess it's OK!! After this I'll go on to the fog lights and the vacuum leak. Since this will take my available time tomorrow to run the hose etc. I'll probably open another "ticket" --- or if you'd rather we can just keep going on Wednesday. Let know and many thanks!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Well that is good John that you did learn some things! It was not a total waste huh? Since this timer on this ticket is about to run out, maybe best to open a new one when you are ready to start on the other stuff. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do - I just got the cowl loose and see how it's fastened but I couldn't figure out how to remove the wiper arms. Do I just yank on them?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
I think you lift the arms up, then slide out that little tab at the pivot. Then wiggle the arms up and off of the shaft. Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - that's why I couldn't see any set screws or spring clips on shafts.
Talk to you in a few days. Thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome John!! Chris