Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Ram 1500: Just bought a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4.7l 4x4. The

Customer Question

Just bought a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4.7l 4x4. The light does not come on when engaged. Also, when shifting out of 4x4 it sticks. I'll shift back to 2wd and it will be in 4 still. Sometimes the shifter will lock up and will only let me go to 4low or neutral. Then I have to force it back. It will unlock when it wants to.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I actually shifted it to 2wd after sitting in neutral and it ended up working. Just the luck of the draw, and I almost think I smelt oil burning, but no leaks.
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! There is a switch on top of the transfer case for the indicator lamp it is common for those to fail. So the first thing i would do is replace the switch also i would recommend changing the fluid in the transfer case to see if that helps with the shifting issues also check the fluid for any metal debris that would indicate an issue with the transfer case
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK will do. Is there any other reasons this could be going on.
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
the only other thing it could be is an issue inside the transfer case but i would try the switch and fluid change first because those are a lot cheaper then removing the transfer case and disassembling it.