-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge stratus sxt: my 2006 dodge stratus 2.4L is burning through

Customer Question

my 2006 dodge stratus 2.4L is burning through thermostats. ive had a repeating engine code for the coolant thermostat after changing it i cant recall the last time i heard my fan kick on when my car gets warm. where do i begin troubleshooting after replacing the thermostat?? also my AC only works on high. are these 2 problems caused by the same thing?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
What do you mean by burning thru thermostats? Are you using OEM parts? What codes are in the PCM?
And you a/c only working on high doesn't have anything to do with the thermostat. It's likely a bad blower motor resistor..
Keep me posted,
Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm on my 3rd thermostat since I bought the car at 100,000 miles. "Burning" through them since my car over heats randomly and does what it wants more or less. I really feel like I havent heard or seen my fan working in a long time.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
CAN you tell me why you keep replacing the thermostat? Are they getting damaged?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Stuck open and closed. First time it was bad it was stuck closed and was squirting fluid all over the engine from the thermostat. This most recent time it was stuck open. And was hard to tell if it was hot or not. The AC starting acting up the same time I noticed my car wasnt working to cool itself off
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Are you using OEM thermostats? And how was a stuck closed or open squirting coolant on the engine? Was your thermostat gasket leaking? Was the cap on? How did you know it was stick closed?