Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 2wd slt: , I have a 2004 Dodge

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. Experiencing parasitic drain on battery. I'm getting cluster error codes 64, 66, and 68. Power Windows and doors still work, I pulled the boot and wires look good on drivers door. Could the fault be in the cluster?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
Have you located which circuit the battery draw is on?
Would you like me to send over a test to help pinpoint which circuit the draw is on?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fuse 51

C codes were 64, 66 and 68. All of those power Windows and doors function, and the wiring through the door shows no cuts or wear. Again can the cluster itself be the culprit?

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information,
The answer is YES, the cluster can in fact be the root cause.
Can I get your VIN so I can pull a wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All the clusters are the same for 2004 rams... Even across 1500 to 2500

I don't have the Vin handy, but I believe all G3 Ram trucks would be the same

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok, no problem.
Can I get your engine size?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5.7l hemi

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
There is no door ajar light illuminated on the dash after the engine is turned off correct?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Brian,
The reason I ask about the door ajar light is because if there is a bad door switch, the cluster will think the door is open and keep certain circuits alive causing the battery to drain. Any of the door switched or even the ignition switch.
If the door switches check out good, then yes, I would suspect a bad instrument cluster.
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No door ajar dash light. Cab lights dim and go out as they should. Alarm functions as it should. Still get cluster error codes though everything functions

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Got it! Thank you for that information.
YES, it sounds like the cluster is at fault causing the battery draw.
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

frustrating thing is I've hooked up an ammeter at the battery, pressed the remote to lock doors and set alam, and watched amps drop from 1.3 to 0.04~0.03. 8 to 10 hours later battery voltage has dropped from 12.9 to12.4~5.

Other than repeating the process and watching the meter for a jump, what else can I do to determine thst it is in fact the cluster?

Thank you

B

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello! You can disconnect the instrument cluster to see if the battery draw goes away..
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.
Customer