Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro RT 4.0 that needs to have the spark

plugs changed. What is the...
I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro RT 4.0 that needs to have the spark plugs changed. What is the procedure to do this? First off, I don't see the plugs. Secondly, how do I get to them, especially the ones on the driver side of the vehicle? Thank you
11/9/2014
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Hello, My name is***** will do my best to assist you with your question
In order to change the spark pl;ugs, the upper intake manifold must be removed. Each plug sits under it's own coil. Unbolt coil, slip off each plug, It is a bit of work, not bad but first time may take a little bit to get the manifold off, You can click HERE to upload how to remove the UPPER intake. You will have to scroll down to UPPER intake, you do not need to remove the lower intake. Coils on top of the plugs look like the picture below

graphic
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Randall,

Does re-installing the upper intake manifold require a new gasket to be installed? Also, you are correct, I'm having difficulty removing the upper intake manifold. The drawing isn't exactly clear. It's a little confusing. Do you mean that the entire upper manifold must be removed? Is it covering the passenger side of the plugs and the driver side too?

yes, Unfortunately. I can only send the repair information as it is published by Dodge. I can not remember each and every bolt and location,You basically follow the general repair information and work down from there. I recommend a new gasket, It is called the plenum gasket or upper intake gasket. Sure it is a kind of rubber seal that can be reused but care must be taken to salvage it, This is why a new one is really recomemded to be safe

Okay Randall,

Thank you. Any idea on how long it should take someone with intermediate skills to remove the manifold and install the plugs?

well. it is by the book as skill level "C" and 2.2 hours book time so,, for never doing this, taking your time? I can easily see 3-3.5 hours , maybe slightly more.

ok. Thank you.

I am on/off each day. no guarantee of exact working online times but if you get stuck on a big step? maybe take a pic, use the toolbar on your side and upload a pic to the post, It helps that way. I will reply as quick as possible

Randall,

I have all the bolts removed and the manifold rocks side to side, but I can't seem to get off. I'm afraid of breaking something if I pry too hard. Should the manifold be that hard to pry off? Also, do you have any suggestions? I appreciate your input. Thanks,

I think there are supports brakets 1-2 unsure, a bracket that runs from the upper intake kind of to the engine,. You need to look close all around the sides of the upper intake for any bracket you unbolt, It should lift rather easy off the engine. There is a bracket from throttle body to ebgine and the diretions say right side mnanifold brackets

Thanks Randall, I did manage to get it off. I'll be working on it some time this evening to put it all back together.

good, keep me in the loop, thanks

Randall,

I have some champion spark plugs. Do you know what the gap on the plugs should be for this vehicle? Thanks again,

.048 - .053

Randall, I took two parts off of the intake manifold that I shouldn't have. I took the Short Runner Valve off and the Manifold Tuning Valve. I think I got the Manifold Tuning Valve back on, but I can't seem to get the Short Runner Valve back on. Is there any instructions on how to get the Short Runner valve back into the Intake Manifold? I think there's some special lining up on each of these parts that has to be done. But, I can't get the Short Runner Valve back in and I'm not sure how to line it up? I think I could force it in, but I'm worried that I might damage something badly. Thank you,

try this, click HERE

Thank you Randall,

I finally completed it.

:) thanks

Randall,

I don't know if I can still contact you about this vehicle? If I have to, I'll add payment for your help. But, the check engine light is on and I put the coder reader on it and it gave me three codes: PO507, P1004, PO113. I'm wondering what these codes are and might any of them be related to replacing the spark plugs? Thank you,

unsure, I would have no way to know, one is for a vacuum leak, one for the IAT sensor like maybe not plugged in and the last code is for the short runner valve possible unplugged. The upper intake may not have seated correct on the gaskets OR the IAT code and short runner code are causing the 507 code

Randall,

What do I need to do to fix these problems?

Randall,

What do I need to do to fix these problems? Also, what will happen if I don't correct these codes?

need to go to the IAT sensor, be sure plugged in, same with both short runner valves, still ok to drive, will affect emissions slightly but will not leave you stranded

Where is the "short runner valves" located?

copy/paste the links below. The first is the MAP/IAT which is on the intake manifold near the fuel rail. short runners shown in second link. I cant remember if upper intake has to come off for either of these but do not think so
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z51346zw90q3h5g/2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/io5fj41mijh3xvm/1.PNG?dl=0

Randall,

Okay, I see which connections you're talking about. But, should I remove the intake manifold to try to get it to seat any better?

unsure, if you can not get to them and you see them connected, then maybe try poking a long rod at them and pushing on them etc. I wish I knew, Are the codes coming right back after clearing them? they will not clear on their own. Need scanner,how are you clearing the codes? how fast are they coming back? I will be online for about 5-10 minutes then back online on/off all day tomorrow

Okay,

I'll let you know more tomorrow. My wife's ready to go shopping---LOIL!

ok

Randall, I know this has been closed, but I have a question relating to the list of questions that I asked above. One is, I'm getting a code on the code reader of PO660 which is relating to the Manifold Tuning Control and it says that Bank one is open. What does that mean. Also, I'm still getting code PO113 IAT Senxor 1CKT High. These two items are plugged in, but I can't seem to get them to work now matter what! Do you, or anyone else have any suggestions for this problem??? I will add additional funds.

Thank you,

Sorry for the delay, I am running out shortly and will return later today and see if i can help with this, I will leave the post open

OK thanks

Randall.

will be looking into this in a bit, back to when I can later this evening
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician