Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi: I have a 2010 Ram Hemi 5.7. For a while

I have a 2010 Ram...
I have a 2010 Ram Hemi 5.7. For a while now I have had a cylinder 8 misfire code come up, but ONLY when the truck is idling, cold and warm. I replaced the coil and all sixteen plugs at the recommendation of the dealer. The dealer actually did the work. That was Friday and the check engine cylinder 8 misfire code came back on Monday. The strange thing about this situation is that the truck idles and runs great with no misfire detected. The truck is at the dealership now and they have taken the heads off and are chalking the problem up to a worn camshaft. I am hesitant to believe that as the truck is not misfiring. What do you think?
1/18/2014
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Hello and welcome!

Thank you for requesting me!

Based on my experience, the engine will misfire only at idle either because there is an air or a vacuum leak near that cylinder (intake manifold gasket leak) and will cause the air fuel ratio to be off enough at idle (way too lean) causing a misfire at idle or this is because an engine mechanical issue.

Every once in a while a bad fuel injector or computer/wiring issue would cause the fuel injector to stay wide open at idle causing that cylinder to misfire. However, this is very rare on this vehicle. First thing is first, I would have checked the intake manifold gaskets for leaks before pulling things apart. Chances are that this was done provided there was a good tech working on the vehicle. If this was not an issue, then chances are it is going to be an engine mechanical issue going on causing this misfire condition to occur.

If it was an engine mechanical condition causing this to happen, then this could have been seen on a hand held engine vacuum gauge. At idle, it should be about 19 to 21 inches or solid steady engine vacuum. If the vacuum gauge needle was fluctuating at idle, this would indicate a mechanical issue going on with the engine. Valves, lifters seats or even camshaft issue. If this was what was found by the technician when the engine was at idle, then yes, they are on the right track. Usually on these motors the valves don't seat correctly causing the engine to misfire so this needs to be checked while the cylinders heads are off as well as the camshaft. Once things are apart, the tech should be able to see any wear on the valves, heads or camshaft that could cause the engine to misfire like you are describing.

I hope this helps!

Amedee

I have a general knowledge of how motors work by working with my dad rebuilding motors. I have done a lot of research on this and have come across people have problems with leaking valve gaskets. What bothers me about being told it was a camshaft problem is that my motor is NOT misfiring. Also, I went by the dealership today after they called to tell me it was a problem with the camshaft and asked to look at it. Correct me if I am wrong, but to get the camshaft out to inspect it the radiator and fan and shroud would need to be removed because the cam comes out of the front of the motor. When I asked to see the camshaft they could not provide it and the radiator and fan and shroud do not appear to have been removed. The passenger side head was off but no camshaft to be found. I am afraid they are not doing what they are saying they are doing but that is a whole other problem. My dad said there is absolutely no way it could be a camshaft problem or there would be a horrible misfire and he has ridden in my truck with the check engine light on and agrees there is no misfire.

Matt,

How much labor did they charge you up to this point?

The camshaft does come out the front of the engine. However, they still can see parts of the camshaft with the cylinder head off and without removing it from the engine.

If the engine is not misfiring but the computer is still flagging a code for a cylinder 8 misfire, this might be more of a computer issue than anything else. It may be that the computer needs to be updated.

Amedee

I paid 320 for the plug change last week and am told that since it is still under powertrain warranty that all this work they are doing now will be covered. I sure hope so. I agree with the computer issue theory and hope they would have checked that prior to tearing my engine apart! I am not saying they didn't but I have not been told that they did. My big concern now is that since they have torn into my engine if they dont put EVERYTHING back to Mopar specs and I have a problem because a bolt was not tightened to tbe recommended torque specs the cost will be on me because the truck currently has 90,000 miles on it. Again, I am baffled and it seems like the mechanics may be diagnosing the problem incorrectly. If that is the case I would guess that my check engine light will come on again shortly.

Matt,

I would agree with you on the part about putting the engine back together correctly. It is vital that things are put back together correctly or there could be issues down the road.

It is also a good thing that it is under warranty and that they are not going to charge you anything for all of this work.

I would also hope that they would have checked into this computer being an issue before they tore everything apart. You are going to have to ask them if they checked this or not. I cannot speak for them.

Lets pray they get it dialed in correctly and accurately diagnose and fix the problem so you can get your vehicle back ASAP! Cool

I will be here if you have any further questions.

Amedee

Amedee,

Thanks for your time and when I get my truck back, they say Wednesday, I will be sure to let you know what they say.

Sounds good!

Please don't forget about me. I will be looking forward to your reply.

Also, please don't forget to rate.

Have a great night!

Amedee

If I rate you now can I reply to you later or is the conversation closed?

We can continue this conversation for as long as you would like even after you rate my answer.
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Sounds good. Rating now.

Thanks for the positive rating!

Please let me know how things turn out! Just reply back to me using this page when you hear back from the guys at the dealership.

Going to get some sleep. Talk to you later.

Amedee

Well, i didnt get my truck back. They said the cam bearings went bad and ruined the block. They are putting a new block in it it and basically giving me a new motor. They dont know when i will actually get my truck back.

Matt,

Thanks for the heads up! At least you get a new motor out of the deal. Thanks for the update!

Amedee

I got my truck back yesterday. Runs great but in an effort to avoid paying for this myself next time I traded it in for a tundra last night.

Matt,

Thanks for the update!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician