ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,dodge dealer Tech
10832065

Sprinter 3500: My A/C in my 2008 Dodge Sprinter is fully charged.

My A/C in my 2008 Dodge Sprinter is fully charged. A/C condenser was replace. It blew cold air for about two weeks then stop. I t is fully charged but it is now blowing warm air. Please help.

Jim

Customer:

Hi, glad to be of help. What are your pressure readings? High side & low side?

Customer:

Does the AC clutch engage?

JACUSTOMER-novcotj9- :

Yes the AC clutch engage. Not sure what the pressure is. My Mech just told me it was fine.

JACUSTOMER-novcotj9- :

The A/C seems to always engage.

Customer:

Without knowning what the pressures are it will be hard to diagnose. See if you can find out what they are. If your clutch engages and pressures are good the problem will probably be with the vent door actuators or HVAC control module. Your low side pressure should be 30-35 psi and high side should be 200-225 psi. If they are not, the problem is in the hydraulic part of system such as expansion valve or possibly air flow through evaporator or condensor.

JACUSTOMER-novcotj9- :

high and low pressures are equal while pump is engaged. both pressures are at 95. I just texted my mech.

Customer:

How can your mechanic say the pressures are good. This is not good, your compressor is bad. Equal pressure or even close to equal means your compressor is shot. Did they replace the old R12 oil with pag oil when they did the conversion? The different oils are not compatible. A new compressor will come with the correct oil already in it. You must also replace your receiver/drier (accumulator). Replace your compressor and receiver/drier and expansion valve.

Customer:

Sorry about the confusion, I was just talking to someone with an older car that converted from R12. Never the less, replace your compressor and at least receiver/drier.

Customer:

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your reponse.

Since your compressor is bad, you should have your system flushed before installing new compressor. Thank you for your excellent feedback. Thank you for using just answer.