Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

grand caravan: i have a 2004 doge grand caravan and i heard

i have a 2004 doge...
i have a 2004 doge grand caravan and i heard what is is almost poundind noise in the exhaust.
i was told it could be the catalytic converter is bad and possibly faling apart and blowing into my muffler i just got last year. ant i need new muff,convertr now,
is this possible
9/16/2013
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! Yes it is possible that the catalytic converter's substrate has broken up and rattling causing that noise. However, you may just need to replace the catalytic converter. Most of the time the cat breaks up into a few large pieces that are too large to enter the muffler. Once the cat is removed, it can be inspected to see if this is the case. From my experience, replacing the cat is all that will be required.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

thank you

how can i check the convertor

You are welcome Lee! You can get a rubber mallet and hit the converter. If it makes that noise, then it has come apart internally.

Thank you for using just answer again. All of us here really appreciate your continued business!

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman