How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask sprinkles08 Your Own Question
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 23004
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
sprinkles08 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

dodge ram pickup 3500: I have a 2005 dodge ram 3500 w/5.9l

This answer was rated:

I have a 2005 dodge ram 3500 w/5.9l cummins and I'm having trouble getting the shifter out of park. It seems to be worse when it is cold. I've already broken one cable and had to be towed. Anybody have any experience with this problem? Thanks.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This isn't an unheard of problem on the 48RE trans in your truck.

The shift linkage attached to the manual valve rod at the transmission and turns it when you move the shifter.

On the top of the valve body is a piece called the rooster comb. This is connected to the manual valve rod and has notches for each gear position. The notches ride against a large steel ball bearing that sits in a bore in the upper valve body, and the ball is spring loaded against the rooster comb.

What happens is when you are moving from park to reverse the ball presses sideways against the aluminum bore and wears it over time. As it gets worn then the ball will want to move sideways instead of pushing back in the bore against the spring pressure, and this makes it hard to remove from park.

The proper fix for this would be to replace the valve body. Normally what I do is remove the valve body and use a burr bit in a die grinder to carefully reshape the ramp on the rooster comb to give it a smoother transition from park to reverse so it won't push the ball sideways in the bore. If you do this you just have to be careful to not take off too much material and have it become a safety issue where it wants to come out of park too easily.

Please rate my performance only when you are happy with my help. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my performance with at least OK Service or better please click the Reply to Expert link and let me know any further questions that you have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sounds like a reasonable answer. My truck has 260,000 miles on it and I rarely ever used the parking brake(I do now). One quick follow up - is a valve body replacement very expensive(ballpark number?), factoring in time and part? I'd rather do it right and not have to worry about the truck rolling away!! Thanks

Replacing the valve body is a little pricey which is why I often try to repair them for customers if I can. A remanufactured Mopar replacement from a dealer will run about $660, cheaper online at places like, they show it for $462.

There are also numerous upgraded aftermarket valve bodies out there for these, ranging in price from about the $400 area to over $700 depending on what you want to spend. The upgraded valve bodies will have different modifications to make them shift better and firmer, help stop torque converter drainback, etc.

The pan will obviously have to come off to replace the valve body so you'll also have to account for about eight quarts of fluid in the cost and a filter would be a good idea at the same time, Mopar valve bodies come with a filter already installed though.

The labor time to replace the valve body calls for 1.3 hours if you have a shop do it.
sprinkles08 and 5 other Dodge Specialists are ready to help you