Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

Journey: I have a 2009 dodge journey. Yesterday it wouldnt

I have a 2009 dodge journey. Yesterday it wouldnt start after 2 hours it started again. I took it for a short drive and when I shut the car off and tried to restart it it wouldnt start again. A few minutes later it started. I finally got it home and shut the car off. No it has been sitting dead in my driveway since yesterday. Just wont start, but the lights, radio, windows, etc work. Whats going on?? I cant get it into the dealer until next week and even then its going to cost more money than I have. Could it be the starter??
Hello and thank you for your question today!
When you go to start it, does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?
Also, do you hear a single click or a bunch of rapid clicks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No canking at all

Ok, do you at least get a single click type of sound out of it when you turn the key to start it? Any sounds at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yeah a few times we heard a series of clicks all at one time

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A series of clicks when we try to start it

Ok, this actually sounds like a battery or a bad connection on the battery. Possibly the terminals are corroded. I would see if you can jump start the car. Leave the donor car on it for about 15 minutes and then see if the engine will at least crank.
IF the starter were bad,you would typically get one solid single click. The rapid clicking indicates a power supply issue. It's possible the battery has enough voltage to work the starter solenoid, but not enough amperage to crank the starter.
Please start here and let me know.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just bought a new battery last month and we did try to jump it last night and then it wouldnt do anything. we left the donor car connected for quite a while. but then last night I would go out periodically to try and start it and it would do anything no noises or clicking

Ok, I am a little confused, you stated you are getting a series of clicks
Now you are saying you aren't. Was this just last night there was no sounds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yeah last night after we tried jumping it. When it first died we got clicks, by the end of the night we got no sounds

This is a battery deal going on here. It should be tested. I realize it's new, but from the sounds of it there wasn't a good connection last night and you drained the battery the rest of the way attempting to start the car.
If you have a second vehicle, remove the battery and have it tested by a parts store. At the very least we can rule it out.
Right now the symptoms point to the battery to be honest.