Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

ram 1500 5.7: 2004 1500truck shuts down while driving started

Customer Question
2004 1500truck shuts down while...
2004 1500truck shuts down while driving started about a year ago doing it once every 2 months then last week 11 times coming home from work in a 30 mile trip .let it sit for a couple days then the check engine light went off and it runs fine . purchased a code reader and with the light off no codes .
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/24/2013
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 4 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

My name is Amedee and I can assist you with your question.

Did you still need help?

Does the engine start right back up when it stalls out? If not, does it crank over and not start? If so, does it have spark and fuel?

Do the gauges on the dash seem to be working normal when this happens?

Amedee

the engine will start again. all gauges still working. in the past 2 years it has shut down about 3 times but last monday it shut down 11 times on the way home from work which was a 30 mile drive. the check engine ligth has been coming on and going off for the pass 3 years. the light is off now and seems to be running fine

Doug,

Thank you for that information.

If there are no air or vacuum leaks under the hood, the most common cause of a stalling condition on this vehicle is low transmission fluid. Low transmission fluid level can cause torque converter clutch release problems. A related TSB is TSB# 21-007-06.

Another common cause we see a lot are bad camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. They can glitch out causing a stalling condition.

Also, last but not least, the EGR valve and a computer re flash. EGR valve per TSB 18-021-04 and re flash the Powertrain Control Module per TSB 18-010-04.

I hope this helps!

Amedee

it is not stalling . the engine shuts down. checked the trans fluid ,oil, had the battery checked all were ok. I drove it about 50 miles today and is driving good.I was trying to get check light to come on to get a code got a auto scanner to check data everything is ok

Doug,

The engine shutting down at times (unexpectedly) is a stalling condition. The cam and crank sensors may not set a code if they are going bad causing this stalling or "shutting down" condition.
Hello!

Its Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and to see if you need any further assistance?

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician