Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Dodge Enthusiast
Experience:  Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
18042535

caravan: I parked my caravan for a while then started it up

I parked my caravan for a while then started it up and its doing all kinds of things. drained the gas tank and put in new fuel put in new fuel filter new air filter it goes for a while then begins to hesitate picks up speed again

Dodge-Tech :

Welcome to JA!

Dodge-Tech :

How long did it sit? Clogged fuel injectors or fowled spark plugs and wire can do this too. I would start with a bottle of injector cleaner :)

Customer:

about 3 months only because of insurance I put a bottle of gas treatment

Dodge-Tech :

Ok, are there any trouble codes?

Customer:

whats a trouble code

Dodge-Tech :

A trouble code is a Code given by the Vans Computer to indicate a problem. Any Auto Parts store will scan your Codes for free. Just write tham down and give them to me and I can tell you whats wrong. There might not even be any but its a good place to start.

Dodge-Tech :

How would you describe the problem? Does it Miss? Bog down? ect?

Customer:

yes it misses it the beginning it would not stay cranked, but I let it run idol everyday until some of it stopped. the check engine light was on long before I parked it. its at a friends house right now. someone has suggested sensors but there are so many of them

Dodge-Tech :

Thats where the Trouble Codes come into play. They tell us exactly what sensor is messing up. Missing is caused by just a few things.

1. Spark Plug
2. Spark Plug Wire
3. Coils "If Equipped with Coil Packs"
4. Distributor Cap and Rotor
5. Fuel Injector

Dodge-Tech :

In most case a good Tune up will fix the issue but have your Van Scanned for Codes before throwing Money at it :)

Customer:

ok I'm going after the suggestions, I need the van up and running

Dodge-Tech :

:)

Dodge-Tech :

Keep me posted. Feel free to ask any questions you may have along the way. I will do my best to Answer them asap. Please dont forget to Rate me with a Smiley face :)

Dodge-Tech :

Even after you Rate I am always here to help.